Archinect
anchor

MacBook Air plus SketchUp Pro/Layout for residential work?

jeiffert

Looking for some feedback...

I'm an active sole-practitioner architect, but probably not too many years before retirement time.  My current (and anticipated) practice consists entirely of residential work, including custom homes, remodels, and specialty (not tract) builder work.  I've gotten by with my manual drawing skills so far, but would like to take a small step into the world of technology.

Considering getting a MacBook Air and Google SketchUp Pro w/Layout.  I realize this isn't the typical powerful workstation and advanced software that most of you might prefer, but it seems like it would cover the bases for my purposes.  I plan to use the MacBook for client presentations (I do a lot of house calls), and would add a large display, standard keyboard and mouse for use in my home office.

I anticipate using SketchUp Pro for design development and modeling work, and then transitioning this work into Layout for construction documents.  I would probably continue to do my conceptual design work  manually.  I've used older versions of SketchUp in the past, and found it fairly easy and intuitive to use.  But, at this point, I'm not inclined to try to master AutoCad, Revit, ArchiCad, etc.

Anyone here using/used SketchUp Pro/Layout?  Any thoughts about how well it might work as I intend to use it?  (My current computer won't support the current SketchUp software, otherwise I'd just download the free demo program and see how well it works out.  That's why I'm also planning on the MacBook Air at this time.)

Jan 30, 12 8:55 pm
Lackey

why air?  That's not much computer for how much money it is, not much at all.

Sketchup should suit you fine, never used layout before although I do have it.

Jan 31, 12 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
postal

test out layout.  it's incredibly laggy.  I don't think you'll find it acceptable for most of your work, but I haven't done the type of work you're talking about.

Jan 31, 12 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
randy1

i use MacBookPro with SketchUp - no problem! my work building type is what your is and i use free lancers (cad monkeys) to transfer my "sketch" into CD's for the larger homes i do. SketchUp helps my client "see" the project 3D "easier". still - i love to draw and my presentation layovers of the SketchUp perspectives always wow!! my clients.

Feb 1, 12 9:51 am  · 
 · 

Buy Apple products and support slave labor in China.

Feb 1, 12 10:16 am  · 
 · 

I think using Sketchup & Layout can work fine.  My biggest concern with the suggested setup would be relying solely on a MacBook Air.  I personally would feel more comfortable starting with desktop or a MacBook Pro (if portability is a must) as primary computer and then supplement that with a MacBook Air (if you really value traveling light).  Speaking from experience, I've used Macs over twenty years and the only time that I've needed to use the Apple care protection plan was with the MacBook Air.  I'll concede that it is probably more an issue of my perception in describing the MacBook Air as "fragile" than based on any research.  And I do use and love my MacBook Air quite a lot, but still, in a professional environment, I would be a little uneasy relying on it as my only computer.

Of course, worst case scenario, you can always hand draw, yo!

Feb 1, 12 10:17 am  · 
 · 
randy1

oh yeah.......... miles.......!!!! and your pc runs smoothly all the time....eh?

lets support the commies anyway!!!! who in the usa wants to work? all the kids want to do is watch american idol and be a star! in the usa ....they don't even want to pick crops....yet ...they want to drive the truck!!!!

hand drawing....no computer...no electric.....daylight......no problem..!!!!!!!!!

Feb 1, 12 11:40 am  · 
 · 
jeiffert

I appreciate all the thoughts.  Would like to keep the dialog going, so...

• I'm not totally decided on the MacBook Air.  It might be too much of a concession to portability, compared to a conventional laptop with a hard drive.  I was under the impression that it might actually be more durable, due to fewer moving parts.  Also, I assumed that a laptop, rather than a desktop, would be adequate due to the simpler/less intensive nature of the SketchUp software.  Other than a noisy cooling fan that seems to turn on too readily, I haven't read much that indicates the Air to be fragile or problematic.
  • I was hoping that SketchUp Pro plus Layout would actually allow me to produce my own CD's.  I'm trying to be more self-reliant, rather than handing projects over to CAD drafters.  I've snooped around the SketchUcation forums looking for examples that would reinforce my hope, and mostly see dazzling elevations and sections, but no floor plans that I would consider architectural CD quality.
  • In the past, I always heard that it's best to select the software you need, then find hardware that supports the software.  Since I'm not still not sure SketchUp Pro plus Layout is going to do the job, maybe a trial is the only way to proceed.
Feb 1, 12 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Look at Chief Architect. (I know, corny name) It's probably the best software for residential and light commercial work. It's sort of bim-lite for the residential market.

Feb 2, 12 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I work mostly on an old macbook pro that has similar specks to the Air, minus the fancy slim hardware. Sketch and layout will work just fine on that hardware and I have thought about getting one myself. 

However don't think I would recommend using layout for CD's. I just don't think its possible to get really good looking drawings at an acceptable level of detail with layout. When I last used it, I found it difficult to control things like line weights and line types which for me are essential to drawing proper CDs. 

My current working method tends to be developing both a sketchup model and drawings in Cad at the same time.  I know it seems redundant but redrawing things different ways helps me develop the design.

I know people preach the values of bim because of this integration but for our scope of work it just seems too cluncky ( I also worked for a year in revit 2008, maybe it has gotten better) 

Anyways, I think the Macbook Air would probably work fine for you. You could even partition the drive and run windows with autocad. 

As long as your not doing really hard processing or graphics production, I think you will be fine. in fact the solid state drives boot programs, opens files and saves much quicker then a hard drive. I think a lot of us would be surprised at how much time that ends up saving. My next computer will have a solid state drive. 

Feb 2, 12 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

If you're really looking for portability, reliability, and a slim sleek look, I'd take a look at the Lenovo X1. Their laptops are known for sturdiness...

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X1_SSD&current-category-id=2CA04E9CB72741BA7B58B93D594F699C&tab=2

Feb 3, 12 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: