Archinect
anchor

Opinions on Tulane

tenex

Hi, I just received a notification from Tulane that I will be receiving a substantial scholarship from them if I attend...now I have also been accepted to Wash U in St Louis (w/no word on financial aid) and Ga Tech (no financial aid, but potentially a heck of a lot cheaper in years 2 & 3) I was set on going to Ga Tech, but now I just don't know anymore....I am interested in hearing from both current students on the situation at Tulane and in New Orleans, and from alums as well (and please don't tell me to do a search....I did, and I read all of those threads. I am interested in hearing what people have to say NOW) Would I be crazy to turn down Wash U & Ga Tech to attend Tulane? (I know alot of you are all about the ratings, but I really dont care one way or another about who ranks where in some survey) THANK YOU!

Mar 29, 06 2:52 am
soulikeit

Tulane. You get a master of architecture

Mar 29, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 
soulikeit

· 
soulikeit

· 

granted my experience is old, but i followed the same diagram as you: accepted at known schools but offered a bunch of money by tulane. i chose tulane because it was the farthest from home. honestly.

architecture school at tulane was the best thing that ever happened to me, but i can't say the other schools wouldn't have offered a similar experience.

Mar 29, 06 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

my story is the same as Steven Ward, except I like to tell people i picked it because the weather was so much nicer in NOLA during my visit in March than where I grew up.

the second paragraph of steven's post could be mine, too.

Mar 29, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

i too just received a substantial scholarship from them and am weighing them against UT Austin - i will probably turn them down b/c it will still be cheaper for me to go to UT and i live in austin already, among other reasons.

but i will say that it will be a very interesting time for architecture, urban design, historical preservation and politics in new orleans right now. i have no doubt the school will be instrumental in the rebuilding processs and if you are interested in that and want to be a part - i think tulane woulc probably be for you... i have one friend who went to tulane and loved it - raves about the program. good luck with your decision. i know it's not easy!

Mar 29, 06 10:01 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

tenex and brujitadulce, would you mind elaborating on what "substantial" means? i know people hate to talk about money, but i got "at least" 8k from them, less than some other places. i'm inclined to try asking for more, but don't want to feel like i'm getting greedy with a school that just cut a whole bunch of departments.

Mar 29, 06 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

tenex and brujitadulce, would you mind elaborating on what "substantial" means? i know people hate to talk about money, but i got "at least" 8k from them, less than some other places. i'm inclined to try asking for more, but don't want to feel like i'm getting greedy with a school that just cut a whole bunch of departments.

Mar 29, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

There are some interesting new developments at Tulane, mostly due to Katrina. Foe example, they are hosting a design/build consortium that will be the center of design/build programs for the next couple of years. But it's more than design/build. It's all under something called "CityCenter" run by Prof. Alan Lewis. They just received a big HUD grant to support it.

Mar 29, 06 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
brujitadulce

i feel kinda dirty talking about money but i know a lot of people have been sharing this info, so here goes

for me -- substantial means 14K for the school year and 8K for the summer session...

Mar 29, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
tenex

Ok, here goes...

school year 16K
summer session 10K

Mar 29, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
tenex

Ok, here goes...

school year 16K
summer session 10K

And yes, part of the reason that I am drawn to NOLA is because of the incredible opportunity to be part of the rebuilding of the city....I just dont think this kind of opportunity would come along again (well, lets hope not if you know what I mean)

I have a few friends who are currently attending Tulane, and they all rave about the program.

Mar 29, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
long_div

i got a great shoclarship to enter tulane for an March this fall...but ive never visiited the city, and am scared to accept without visiting (i have no time to visit!). i applied because i wanted to be a part of the rebuilding process (i want to work as a design build architect). though, in the meantime ive been accepted at some other great schools -- penn, risd, pratt, ccny. what to do!??!

Apr 4, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

I went to college in New Orleans and grew up in Mississippi. The region, the people, and especially that city are deeply ingrained in my heart. That said, without knowing you its really tough to know if it would be a good idea. New Orleans is a pretty raw, f*cked up place right now. The level of violence is the highest its been in about 12 years when it was the per capita murder capital of the country. Tulane is a bit insulated from that (a bit), and architecture grad school is inherently insulating, but I'd strongly recommend visiting before even thinking about going there. It could be the greatest thing you ever do, it could drive you insane (literally). Really depends on your personality and how you take to the environment. And its hot as balls in summer.

Apr 4, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: