Archinect
anchor

Illustrator - copying layers between files

Urbanist

Does anybody know how to copy layers (or their contents) between two Illustrator files such that relative position and scale are preserved? I'm spending hours getting things to line up across files.

Mar 27, 06 8:19 pm
manamana

does ctrl-f not work?

Mar 27, 06 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Dunno why. It's putting stuff all over the page.

Mar 27, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

My pet peeve too. It pastes to the center of the screen by default and there are no other choices - but these work arounds

I often draw a rectangle that snaps to the art board (ctrl-u for the snaps) and use that to align my pasted gunk.

Or use the transform pallette to locate the objects in the same cartesian location in the new file.

If you just want to copy an item within the same file, you can use the layers pallette: highlight the object by clicking on it's name (not select by clicking on the far right next to the name); in the upper right corner there is a triangle in a circle- click and hold to get the pallette options menu- slide your cursor down to DUPLICATE OBJECT. viola!

identical place, size and attributes- then you can drag the copy through the layers pallette to where you want it (for cropping, masking, boolean subtractions, et al.

Mar 27, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

ctrl -f (paste in front) and ctrl - b (paste in back) SHOULD maintain position and scale.

I have no idea why it isn't for you...can you give some specific on what, exactly, you're trying to do?

incidentally, indesign has a nice function for this: alt+shift+ctrl+v (paste in place)

Mar 27, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: