Archinect
anchor

Need to vent, Strung out hiring process

mbcube

Long story short, Unemployed 7 months, started dipping into IRA for basic life items.
Submitted resume for what seemed like a very good match. Passed the recruiter's interview, Invited to meet the guy who runs all of So-Cal. 2 weeks later had a great meeting with him and we seem to be on the same page on many key items. He's invited me to meet with his partner. His partner runs the Western US of the firm. The firm is a an international firm with about a 1000 employees. His partner calendars meeting 3 weeks away. Meeting went well, but not as smoothly as the first one. He asked very interesting and thought provoking questions and true to form, I was honest. He seemed to like to have "spirited discussions".

He said I should call back next week for an update, and I have, for the past 3 weeks!

Part of me feels they are moving other candidates further along in the process and keeping me along in case they can't agree to an offer with them. Like a runner up in a pageant. ("in the event Ms. Idaho gets pregnant, or an embarrassing YouTube video crops up and can't perform her duties . . ") The other option is they are truly busy and this is a low priority for them. Third idea is that they are re-evaluating the position and may possibly hire multiples and haven't thought the concept through. Feb 9 will be three months!  Going insane.

Am I just paranoid?

Jan 27, 12 12:41 pm
wurdan freo

Go with your gut. If you think they have another candidate and they are keeping you on the sideline, just in case, then you're probably right.

Another option is they are working on securing a project and if that project hits they will need to fill this position.

I wouldn't count on anything until you are getting your first paycheck. Keep looking.

Jan 27, 12 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Things can take time.  I remember once, a long time ago, when I interviewed for a job in September or October.  It went well but I didn't hear anything again until February.  I must have met with them again in March because I seem to remember starting that job on April 1st.

I guess the difference is that I was already employed so I didn't feel any sense of paranoia or had a need for them to act quickly.  Not sure if this helps, but keep in mind that architecture can be a slow business where projects might be discussed for weeks, months & even years before they get started in a real sense (that is, have financing, need staffing, etc).  Your future bosses might simply have no choice but to wait too.

In the meantime, keep looking & hang in there, yo!

Jan 27, 12 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
mbcube

I did hear from them again:

"Please accept my apologies for the delay, but we have received a few more candidacies that we are evaluating at the present time.  I will keep you updated on our progress."

While this is the best prospect I've seen (scope/pay/opportunity), I am still continuing to look elsewhere and have seen other viable gigs.

Jan 28, 12 10:53 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, keep looking.  This one may come through and you can drop any other potential leads.  But, unfortunately it's a buyer's (employer's) market right now, and one thing sellers must endure is this really uncomfortable pageant-like process.

Good luck!

Jan 28, 12 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I've mostly worked at corporate firms and this honestly seems like standard opperating procedure....  The current firm I work at (also a large corporate international firm) did this same thing to me - it was months before they gave me an offer.  I had already even taken another job (immediately after I was laid off) at a smaller firm ...  It was a conundrum but it all worked out.

Wish you best of luck - trust me I know how difficult it is....

Jan 29, 12 11:23 am  · 
 · 
mbcube

OK-I've given up on them. Visa, Amex & MasterCard and my mortgage holder all want me employed NOW! I did get an offer just down the street (2 miles - You have to understand, I usually have to commute via train or car at LEAST an hour). Pay is HALF of what I earned in 09, 20k less than my last job. Some red flags - Boss seems weak, stuffy - quiet office, all government work, boss seems to micro-manage time.

I'm also interviewing this week for a better suited position 50 miles away (I'll move/rent/sell) and I had a great phone interviewed (90 minutes long) last week for my DREAM job, but its in another state.

So I'm going to prostitute myself and take this local gig. Hopefully one of the others will lead to a more rewarding gig.

Feb 14, 12 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

No jobs or projects happen as fast as they did before 2008.  Way too much diligence has to occur in advance so we have lots more time sitting on our hands waiting.  I wouldn't be a wall flower sitting on the side lines keep at it,  if they want you they'll call.  Lots of other to choose from now too and thats a good thing for employers.... not so good for job hunters like your self.  You have to sell yourself.

Feb 14, 12 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

I gave up looking. I was unemployed since July of last year. I took a job in retail, it sucks, but its something to do. If I still care about architecture when things get better, I'll try to go back, but honestly, I'm not seeing the appeal in being inthis field anymore. I've yet to work with someone who enjoyed what they did and was happy with their life, so honestly, why subject myself to this?

Feb 15, 12 12:26 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

totally understand the frustration! I'm tired of being called in to interviews, having to put my child in daycare for the day (which isn't cheap) to go in and have them say, 'we just wanted to meet you...we don't have anything right now-we have jobs pending that may or may not go through-so we'll keep you in mind.  Why don't you check back in a month or two.'  Waste of my time! Call me on the phone instead!  I'm looking for work NOW-not a few months from now.  If you don't have a position, then don't lead people on and give hope by calling them in for an interview!!  This is why firms have failed.  Lack of planning and managing resources.  I saw it in my last job.  The PM would come by-oh-we are now over budget on this project...and we're only at 65% drawings...  You are a little late to discuss budget AFTER you have blown it!  Poor planning!  Yes, the economy is horrible, but firms-you have to do better planning and managing your business!

I was laid off at a firm that was so top heavy it's no wonder their expenses were so high! And there were lots of perks at the firm-but instead of cutting back on those or cutting out bonuses (which they kept going) they instead went through lay-offs. So I am saying goodbye to architecture firms.  Not sure if I will ever go back!  I love design, but I like stability more!

Feb 15, 12 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

yeah I gave up on the job thing until the economy improves.  Doing renovations for the meantime for a few investors I know.  Thank god residential is fair game in my state (no arch licence required)  I am done begging for work..sometimes you just need to find it yourself and get out of the employee mentality.

Feb 15, 12 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
mbcube

Follow-up:

I've been there a week. My assessment was accurate & spot on (20 years exp. has some perks). Might be able to tolerate it if the salary was at least decent, but it looks like staff typically works 50-60 hrs a week with no additional compensation.   Continuing phone interviews on my lunch hour at home & scheduling Meet & Greets over cocktails/coffee later in the evening.

Out-of-state position is progressing & meeting their local regional office peeps for Meet & Greet in a week or so, and future boss flies in to visit local offices in mid-march for a more in-depth interview. I assume I may fly there to meet other corporate folks in future. 

Feb 25, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

tiny - what you're describing is, indeed, inexcusable on the part of the firm. we do (very rarely) see if an applicant would like to come in for an interview even when we don't have a position right then. but we make it extremely clear upfront that's the case - it's just to meet and greet and there's no immediate potential for a job. if we really like the person, we'll offer to help open a door (if they want) to another firm. in the end, meeting and expanding your network is almost as important as getting the actual position.

mb - take it all with a grain of salt. there's no rhyme or reason to hiring practices among firms. only thing i can suggest is not to get your heart set on any single firm too much - there's so many variables that will drive a decision that you (as a person) may be much less of a factor in the final analysis than 20 other things you don't have any knowledge of.

Feb 25, 12 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
w. architect

Oh, and you went to architecture to work with Arse-holes, that love spirited conversations?

You should go work at Wal-Mart, and meet the same type of human beings, they are A-types, and embedded with envy, jealousy and rage.

Put a ring through your nose, and be prepared to be pulled around like a circus monkey Mr. Corporate Architect.

Oh, did we mention we have a lovely 401k, and stock sharing for selling out!

May 28, 12 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: