Archinect
anchor

Whats a portfolio?

ak_asian89

im in high school really wanting to go into architecutre program
i know they mostly require a portfolio but what exactly is it? just sketches? canvas? sculpures ? can it be anything unrelated to artwork such as music compositions, science projects?

Mar 24, 06 1:14 am
AbrahamNR

Your design work. Any artwork that you have would be the most relevant.

But at this point don't worry, I really don't know of any school that requires a portfolio straigth out of high school. You have to have some projects before you can have a portfolio.

Mar 24, 06 2:31 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

ak...yea but dont forget to insert some currency notes of high denomination at the end of your portfolio..

Mar 24, 06 2:34 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

anything you create..they want to know you through your work

Mar 24, 06 3:12 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

browse through-
http://www.archinect.com/search/index.php

Mar 24, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

cuervo, really? it seems like most programs require a portolio. when i started looking arch programs( this winter) i was a little worried that many require a "portfolio" i hope im not too behind the race starting art I this semester...

Mar 25, 06 5:07 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

not all programs require a portfolio...typically highly selective programs (cornell, cooper union (home test), rice etc) would want to see a portfolio for entrance into a B.arch program but that is not always the case (wash u, cmu, state schools)

art classes provide a 'medium' for you to express your creativity but it is not the only way to express your creativity. Architecture schools don't look at your art skills as much as they do look for innate talents or abilities that aren't usually gathered from several years of art training. Taking art classes can either open your mind, or in many times, close it as well. I know many students who are accepted into competitive programs who don't have art experience. They have a lot of creative talent and demonstrate it in other mediums.

Mar 25, 06 5:46 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

what is the "mediums?"

Mar 25, 06 5:47 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

that's up for you to decide...that's where creativity comes in..you can choose what you want to be creative with.

of course most people express themselves through drawings, paintings, collages, etc.. but it can also be done through music, writing, sculpture, food decorating, stage sets, fashion design...anything that demonstrates your creativity. think outside the box

Mar 25, 06 5:57 am  · 
 · 

i don't even need to add anything Justin has said it all

I have two interns in the same boat right now, both just out of high school and been with our office for about 6 months. We've tried to involve them in the design process where feasible but nothing they can call there own. Mostly they have a bunch of CAD stuff which I've ushered them to leave out...simply because they really need to show that they have the creativity to manage 4/5/7 years of architecture school.

A portfolio really is just a synopsis of your creativity

Mar 26, 06 12:24 am  · 
 · 
arc2107

What would you suggest for a student (Like Me) that has to show a Pin-up of your work to be able to even be considered being accepted into the school?

Mar 26, 06 12:35 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Hmm ..
I never had a portfolio for my B.Arch admissions

Just an interview. I guess it depends from school to school

Mar 26, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
arc2107

Also would anybody suggest in getting a job at an actual firm before you graduate to gain experience or is that something that you shouldn't worry about at this point in the game?

Mar 26, 06 12:40 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

sporadic supernova, can i ask what program you went to.

Mar 26, 06 12:43 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

ak,

B.Arch .. Bachelor's degree in Architecture ..

5 year course ..( well, I took 6 years ..)

Mar 26, 06 12:49 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

I never had to have a portfolio after high-school, besides the first two years of arch school is all general stuff anyway.

Mar 26, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

humm...
i guess there are many programs that don't do portfolios.....
how do they see your "artisticness" ? i mean, a lot of architecture is art right?

Mar 26, 06 1:51 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

but i guess you learn a lot too

Mar 26, 06 1:56 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

not necessarily ak,

being good in art isn't the only correlation with being good in architecture. Since architecture is such a broad field and incorporates all types of thinking, it is hard to determine what makes a good architect.

a portfolio is only a 'visual' demonstration of your creativity, and sure it shows talents and skills that you inherit but there are also many other factors a portfolio cannot show.

not having a portfolio for architecture admissions isn't necessarily a bad thing..because if professors only rely on one method of choosing who's in or out, they might weed out applicants who may hold a certain talent that might be beneficial in contributing to the architecture school student body...perhaps math majors, philosophy majors, etc

a lot of state schools weed out most of their architecture students in the 2nd or 3rd year, because from my observations, they feel that a high school portfolio doesn't necessarily represent one's ability to do well in architecture school. It is only after their 2nd or third year do arch students have to demonstrate a competitive architecture portfolio in order to move on.

Mar 26, 06 2:19 am  · 
 · 
va bene

ak,

I also had to put together a portfolio right out of high school for some of the programs I was applying to. I mainly just used my art projects from high school (as I didn't have any architecture background whatsoever), which seemed to be all that some of the programs (re. RPI) were expecting. I think that they just want to see your creativity.

Mar 26, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: