MacBook Pro

mdler

Anyone out there have one???

any reviews???

Mar 23, 06 1:38 pm
broccolijet

Check this out...
http://www.macworld.com/products/apple/complete/product00084_detail1.php

Macworld tends to be pretty objective in their reviews. The personal reviews I've heard from people are mixed depending on their use preferences. Speed improvements are generally a mixed bag because of this...especially depending on how well your software integrates with it (optimization for Intel processors or even dual processors).

I used to own a G4 17" before it got stolen :( I loved it.

Mar 23, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

can you run AutoCad on it?

Mar 23, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

I don't know, but this...

http://www.macwindows.com/VPCautocad.html

...leads me to believe that people are finding a way to do it.

Mar 23, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

i get mine mid-April. i'll let you know

Mar 23, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

i'm desperate to get one- but a lot of friends got the first gen powerbook and wished they had waited till the second batch had some out- to iron out all the flaw/issues with it......

might be a while though

Mar 23, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

technically the second generation are the ones they sell now since they upgraded from the base processor of 1.67 to 1.83 a couple months ago, but don't know if they made any other major changes. all the reviews i've seen have been positive, and i got mine beefcaked out, it better be good...

Mar 23, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

MacBook Pro = Worst name ever.

-andrew

Mar 23, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

2nd gen in 4-5 months (based on merom)

Mar 23, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

but does anyone think it will be worth the wait?

Mar 24, 06 4:18 am  · 
 · 
whitllam

Second gen will have most of the bugs worked out and supposedly will have 64 bit Intel Core Duo processors instead of the current 32 bit variety. Also, with these new MacBooks, people have gotten Windows XP to run natively via dual boot, so running AutoCAD is a breeze - OnMac

Mar 24, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
manamana
Not quite a breeze...

limited to software display mode due to lack of graphics drivers

there are some other bugs as well, but most have workarounds

Mar 24, 06 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I have never understood why people are so hung up on running Autocad? We are in the business of designing and delivering spaces and buildings, not cad jockeys.

You can use Archicad, Vectorworks, Form Z,Sketchup, etc. and concentrate on the important stuff. If you need to translate, Archicad does a pretty amazing job of it.

And if you can use 2 or 3 of these programs, it is easy to pick up another. Most graphic designers do this easily, why is it so hard with architects?

Just curious...

The next few years will prove very interesting as a lot of Autocad jobs are outsourced to India and the warm body jobs at big firms disappear. Then you better know a lot more than how to use Autocad...

Then the discussion will be very different. Architects will no longer be able to pretend the outside world doesn't exist and will have to learn something from other professions in order to survive and thrive.

Mar 25, 06 2:59 am  · 
 · 
mdler

the powerbooks / mac books get pretty warm...a long work session with one of these on Mdler's lab could do some serious damage to the goods, if you know what I'm sayin

Mar 26, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Mdler's LAP

Mar 26, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Kentique

admit it. mdler has a lab full of macbooks with slaves working...

Mar 28, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I have never actually used my 'laptop' in my lap, is that just me? I mean, even coach seats on the plane have desks, my truck has a hood and a tailgate, restaurants have tables...

Mar 28, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Using my 17" G4 while lying in bed used to bring to mind Nat King Cole, as in 'Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...' Once again, before it was stolen :( But that sucker got REALLY hot!

Mar 28, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

won't switching from 32 to 64-bit be like the stunt of getting people to be HDTV compatible by 2007?

speaking of chestnuts-go see the new winterbottom film Tristram Shandy. the chestnut scene alone is worth the price of admission.

Mar 28, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

"won't switching from 32 to 64-bit be like the stunt of getting people to be HDTV compatible by 2007?"

OS X is already compatible wth 64bit + multicore systems (g5), the software will run even if it's just 32bit, but to get the most out of it, it will need to be optimized. When mac users say they are technologically ahead they mean it. OS X is 2 years ahead of vista (whenever that comes out) and vista is just copying the features of OS X, wait till OS 10.5 (leopard) comes out, maybe around the time vista comes out.

Apr 7, 06 12:15 am  · 
 · 
mdler

why should i buy a macbook if im going to only run windows and auto-cad on it?

Apr 11, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

'cuz you'll be cooler, natch. (not including the chestnuts.)

Apr 11, 06 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Isn't OS 10.5 (Leopard) coming out in the neXt (pun intended) few months?

Apr 11, 06 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

-Because it is the only computer that will run the three major operating systems on it (OS X, Linux |which ever flavour you like| and windows).
-It has really good specs and some nice features like magsafe (so now if someone trips over your power-cord your notebook won't end up on the floor).
-You shouldn't limit yourself to windows and autocad... and considering that drafting work in autocad is also being shipped out to india, to do so would be a mistake.
-There are a lot of good apps out there for OS X, the developers working on them are extremely helpful.
-Small architecture firms, with little money, that work with Macs and Vectorworks, Archicad, Formz, Shade 8 etc, have been successful and get a lot of publicity for the outstanding work they manage to put out.
-OS X works well with graphics apps and comes bundled with apps to help you get started with photography, video editing etc. These apps are also in a league of their own and are mac only if you wanted to do something more advanced you could move on to pro apps. Why mention Graphics? Because Architecture is a visual profession if you decide to enlist the help of a graphics designer they are more efficient on a mac
-OS X has a lot of open source apps written for it (like openoffice, firefox etc)
-The computer you get has been well designed from the hardware to the software. The software is integrated with the hardware so everything just works.
-As for heat issues they exist with Pc's too, my sony vaio was just as bad as my powerbook when it came heating up, but what made it worse was the fact that you could use it as a replacement hair dryer, same with dell (there was a story where a researcher burnt himself while using one)
-No Viruses, spyware and worm nasties on the OS X side, but if you decide to install windows through bootcamp you are still effected by all that crap.
- OS X allows you to to work with people who use windows so you can still join networks and share all your files.
- Contrary to popular belief OS X works with multibutton mice, even those made by microsoft. (and you can make the cursor move the same as a PC if you aren't comfortable with the way OS X handles it)
-OS X is built upon a stable operating system called Unix, which is used by scientists and engineers, a lot of them have migrated to OS X because they can still use their previous software on a mac.
-OS X is built to handle 32bit and 64bit multicore processors and you can still run your 32bit software on a 64bit processor.
-Have you seen the Expose function on a mac? I can't work with out it.
-You can always fall back on windows if OS X doesn't appeal to you

I have been a windows user since i was 8 years old (in fact i used to hate macs) I switched when I was 18 and i've been using apple hardware and software for four years and I think it's the best purchase i've made. My original mac is still working to this day. For most people the idea of being enthusiatic about a computer is foreign to them, but I think If you spend most of your day infront of one you should have a pleasant experience using it and it should just let you get on with work without being distracted.

You should go to an applestore and go through one of the free theatre presentations for OS X to go through most of the features (although if you are an advance pc user this will be a bit slow, since it is designed to simplify things for beginners). Also talk to a sales assistant to go through the features. Best of all if you know any students/architects using a mac you can probably get more info from them.

Apr 11, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

will my MacBook crap out like my Ipod...

Apr 11, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

10.5/Leopard will be previewed in August at apples developer coference, not sure when it will be released though since vista was pushed back AGAIN so they might want to release it closer to Vista's release date just in case microsoft want to sloppily copy them AGAIN.

Apr 11, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Your iPod uses a hard drive, a hard drive has moving parts. If you run or throw your iPod around it will eventually fail, same with any portable hard drive based device from any company (Original 2nd gen ipod is still working) If you treat your macbook pro poorly it will fail, but the good news is that it is unlikely you'll be running while it's still on so no it shouldn't "crap out" anytime soon, if you are worried about it failing get apple care and get a student (if you aren't one) to buy your computer for you, sice you get a discount on the computer and applecare.

Apr 11, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

All my iPods still work, i use them as external hard drives now

Apr 11, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the battery crapped out on me

Apr 11, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

oh you can change your battery on a macbook easily and it's covered under the warrenty. you can also change the battery on your ipod if you take it into an applestore and pay a certain fee they swap the entire ipod out for you, but it has to be in working order, no dents

Apr 11, 06 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

just got mine two weeks ago, and it rocks in every single way.
i especially like the lighting startup and shut down speed.
the wireless is hot, but i haven't tried the blutooth yet-

being a new convert, i've also found out recently that there is a ton of good software out there for macs, and the ability to put windows or linux on it easily make it the most versatile computer on the market. i'm not saying it's the only solution-just one of the best so far. if you have a friend who's got one, ask to take it for a test spin...if you can pry it from his cold dead hands.

now if we can get apple to change the name of the damn thing....

Apr 12, 06 11:10 am  · 
 · 
cynic

has anyone done any tests on the macbook running 3d studio, rhino, maya, etc?.......

macworld.com ran an article saying that they were unable to run Max because of copy protection (?).....not sure why copy protection would be a problem simply because XP is running on a Mac....

Apr 13, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
ooid

mcneel might do something about it cuz rhino even does not work on previous mac's with a virtual pc software...still waiting for a test for rhino anyway maya can be too complicated on mac os x when it comes to precise modelling.

Apr 13, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

mdler
can you run AutoCad on it?

---

according to todays New York Times, yes.

Apr 13, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Going to go buy a copy of windows to try it out, will have a look at bootcamp and parallel's (with in OS X) solution.

Apr 13, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I'm getting a mac for grad school. My first one - I am so excited! I want to go out and get it now, but should probably hold out, right? Then it'll be the latest version. Or am I wrong and can go get it now so I can play?

Apr 13, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

Cameron: nope, but archicad should work. also c4d and i believe maya (?)

Apr 13, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

actually the Times writer installed Autocad via bootcamp and it worked perfectly. I've been using Macs since I got my first Apple IIe.... refuse to change.

Apr 13, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

is nice to see apple doing their last ditch attempts to survive.

I say, give it 5 years and the mac as we know is will be gone, they will just make hardware.

Apr 13, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Cyberpunk O.G. Neal Stephenson claimed long ago (1999), in an interesting piece called In the Beginning Was the Command Line, that Apple was a hardware company first and foremost.

Apr 13, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
postism

"I tend to think that Macs are for suburban housewives." - Hernan

Apr 13, 06 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
waxwings
xp behaving badly

Apr 13, 06 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

read all the how-to's before you do the bootcamp thing, and make sure you have backed up your goodies.

once you are running Windows its the same as Windows on any other computer.

Parralell? I would be very wary of running Russian made software (rootkit!) I would do some serious research first.

try Q, the opensource virtualization project. I have got various linux running on my iBook and my G5. don't have a Windows license so I can't try that.

Apr 13, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Kentique

Im still not sold. I like macs because of the OSX interface.
(been using macs since the macintosh classic-the black and white)

but in architecture, I had to make the switch as I have become so efficient in autocad. Windows XP interface annoys the sh!t out of me, but autocad is my priority. But then- autocad-rhino on windows and photoshop -illustrator on OSX, dosent make a efficient workflow. Therefore, it dosent help me to get a mac that could dual-boot windows.

I wish the macbook PRO was more ruggedized and even more minimal- no logo and magnesium alloy casing that can withstand light rain perhaps. and lower in price! wasnt that one of the promises of the intel switch? The price dont seem to be too different!

Apr 14, 06 1:47 am  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

not what steve said. it was all about wattage and heat and all that.

it was the rumour mongers, fanboys, and dreamers who thought they were going to get a break on the price. more profit for Apple maybe.

Apr 14, 06 1:51 am  · 
 · 
Kentique

bob_dobbalina has quickly blocked my hating vent towards jobs- but this hating has to go somewhere... grr...

Apr 14, 06 1:57 am  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

when I lived in Arizona the sky went on forever,
there were this little fluffy clouds,

Apr 14, 06 1:59 am  · 
 · 
Kentique

grrrr! cute fluffy thing make me more Anggrrry!

Apr 14, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 
fuzzytank

*pop quiz<<#

name the 5 most famous architects that design using any combination of Archicad, Vectorworks, and Sketchup.

Apr 14, 06 2:57 am  · 
 · 
bob_dobbalina

don gurney uses sketchup

Apr 14, 06 3:05 am  · 
 · 
RNNR

i've seen some ArchiCAD coming from H&dM...

and sketchup is a corrupt piece of software. hey sketchup users, show me a sphere...

Apr 14, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: