Archinect
anchor

hardware and technology thread central

sameolddoctor

I have been thinking of a thread like this for a while, where people can post their latest gadget news, computer fetishes etc. I know many of us archinecters are into these things, so giving this a try.
(I dont mean to kill any 'best laptop' or 'apple vs pc' threads)

Let me start with this:
SAMSUNG UNVEILS 32GB FLASH DRIVE

Mar 22, 06 9:21 pm
dia

Not a Dell man, and paint-job aside, one of these would be nice.

Mar 23, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My computer is still broken. That's awesome! Got a new mobo and it still doesn't work. Guess I'll be fooling around with processors next. Doesn't seem to be HDD, RAM, or Quadro. Kinda pissed that I bought another mobo. Anyone need a new one?

Mar 23, 06 1:32 am  · 
 · 
manamana

what kind of motherboard? will you give it to me free if I can diagnose your problem?

Mar 23, 06 1:46 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Tyan S2875 Dual Opteron Board. I actually don't know if the old mobo works. It probably does haha. I probably got screwed out of $200 by being a dumby.

Mar 23, 06 2:09 am  · 
 · 
upside

i have a fetish for blue led light comming out of my pc.

Mar 23, 06 2:33 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

we bought a xps 400 and it SUCKS ASS. Really loud fans go crazy when the dual core starts running. My dual Opteron (almost 2.5 years older) is waaaaaaay faster than the XPS. Got to call tech support tomorrow.

Its good that dell bought alienware, now they will at least sell amd processors.

Mar 23, 06 4:28 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Looks like it was a RAM problem, but it killed my installation of Windows, but now I can't reinstall Windows. Damn!

Mar 23, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

not to add any fuel to the fire, but are you hard drives fine??? AFAIK, ram problems dont affect the registry and you should be able to install the OS just fine....

Mar 23, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I think I might just smash my computer. The RAM is definately screwed and I have one more thing to try with the OS before I try a new HDD. I've accessed both HDDs via other machines.

Mar 23, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

are all your ram cards screwed? you should figure out which one is bad then try your processors with the new mobo and the card that works....

Mar 23, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

bad ram can screw up windows very easily. get the data off and format.

use this before reinstalling:

http://www.memtest.org/

Mar 23, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
manamana
does anyone in canada want to do me a favor?
Mar 23, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

calling whistler....

Mar 24, 06 12:20 am  · 
 · 
standaman

What's a good mouse (optical/laser) for drafting? I've read somewhere on the board that a high-res gaming mouse will boost accuracy/efficiency when drafting/CG editing, etc.

Mar 24, 06 6:47 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I haven't played may games since the days of the ZX spectrum. Bought this software to kill some time while the missus catches up with ER.

Gone are the days of pac man this game is amazing on line!

As far as hardware goes this is still top.

Tom Tom 700

Mar 24, 06 7:03 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

we are planning to buy a good 11x17 laser color printer for the office

Any suggestions? ive been looking at Xerox phasers, HP laserjets, but there are no good reviews online, any good/bad experiences about laser printers?

any help is appreciated!

Mar 28, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

bump, help please!

Mar 29, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

cant help on the color laser printer (that's still like an automatic lawnmower to me) but.....

What can anyone recommend for a digital projector that will run from a PC or Mac, to be used for projecting stills, from line drawing to photo, and animations?

Mar 29, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

epson has some great DLP projectors....some extrememly compact useful for traveling etc. check em out...

Mar 30, 06 12:50 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this so I thought this was a good a place as any.

You guys, I seriously, REALLY want to throw my desktop out the window. I came home yesterday and brought it out of stand by and it wouldn't connect to the internet (c'mon, I had to get to archinect), so I restarted, and it spontaneously lost a system file. I got it booted with a boot disk but now it is 10 kinds of messed up, won't start my virus software, doesn't recognize any connections, and is moving really really slow, I mean my screen saver doesn't even move.

So what am I going to do? I'm probably going to have to wipe out the whole hard drive and reinstall Windows and every other goddamned thing I have on there, which by this point is quite a bit. Thank god I have an external hard drive so at least I wasn't worried about my stuff going away.

Would someone please tell me why I shouldn't light this piece of shite on fire and go buy the Mac Powerbook I've been drooling over for months and months?

Jun 20, 06 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
bRink
Jun 20, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

a cool thing i just found. i almost put it in the news, but it doesn't exactly appear to be new.

for marking a moment in your life relative to moments in the lives of others: the blind camera

i'd never actually use such a thing, but the fact that it exists is fantastic. to imagine using it, clicking the button, hooking it into my laptop, and seeing what other people recorded from their lives at exactly that moment...kinda blows my mind a little.

Aug 2, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Aug 2, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

Seems like an appropriately dumb idea but...

Slydial Lets You Avoid Awkard Calls, Go Straight To Voicemail

Seriously people? We need this? Man up and take some responsibility, and don't be a chicken shit.

Aug 2, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: