Archinect
anchor

Help needed

ismd

Hello All
I am a new member of Archinect. I am an Architect from India. I was working as a freelance Architect there.I am currently in USA on an H4 Visa. I have a few questions
# In order to get employment in US what procedure do I need to follow?
# What can be the possible options as a professional?
# Is it compulsory for me to complete any formal education from US in order to work here?
# Are there any online courses?
# Do I have to give the ARE and what will be the chances for me to get any job options?

Thanks all for being patient

Mar 22, 06 6:39 pm

1. Talk to immigration. They'll know a lot better than us.
2. work on your own, or work for a firm.
3. No. But it may be for licensing. Check with the state you're living in and interested in getting licensed in.
4. Not good ones.
5. No, but you'll get paid a lot better if you do take and pass it. The requirements can be complex depending on where you are though, so check with your local architect's board. It would seem to me that a licensed professional is always more hireable than an unlicensed person, esp. with no US education. Taking the ARE might make people question your education level less, but depending on how hard it is (IDP, education requirements, etc.) in your state, it may or may not be worth it for you.

Mar 22, 06 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

welcome to archinect ismd. rationalist is right, its best to consult a immigration lawyer first. Being on an H1 visa myself, i dont think its possible for you to work on a h4 visa. I might be wrong, but yes, its best to consult a professional.

As for the license you will have to complete IDP units as an architectural intern in most states (i dont recollect which states dont have idp), but the basic problem is with the employment visa. If you have a strong portfolio and skillset you can apply in any office, but ONLY IF the employer agrees to sponsor you H1-B visa, which some employers will do, if they think you will be a great asset to their company.

The other method is to study and get a degree from a US school, which will give you a one-year OPT (Optional Practical Training) period, wherein you can look for employment and hopefully that office will sponsor your H1 visa. Honestly the chances of getting employment if you have a degree from a US school are much more.

It depends on whether you want to just start working or you'd rather get some education before you go on to work....

Mar 22, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: