Archinect
anchor

Proxy Objects

CrazyMache

I have down-graded from AutoDesk 2004 to AutoDesk 3.3. All of my drawings have since lost their "Proxy Objects" and now everytime I type a command I get a message: ARX ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass. Can anyone explain to me how to retrieve these "objects" or how to make this message go away? Thank you!

Mar 22, 06 5:48 pm
Try Google
Mar 23, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

We had this issue in our own office a few months ago. We generally use straight AutoCAD, but sometimes we'd have to deal with drawings created with Architectural Desktop. Here's how we fixed it:

1. Find a workstation that has ADT 2004 installed. You will need to open up the drawing using ADT 2004.

2. Audit and purge the drawing using the "AUDIT" and "PURGE" commands, respectively. This makes the conversion process go much smoother, and is generally good AutoCAD hygiene anyway, especially when dealing with drawings sent to you by other people.

3. Unload (but don't detach) any X-refs in the drawing. Otherwise your X-refs will be bound to the drawing as blocks when you do Step 4. (Don't detach them, or else you'll have to manually re-attach them in Step 6.)

4. From the "File" menu at the upper-left corner of ADT 2004, select "Export to AutoCAD >>" and then select "2000 Format..." This command converts any Architectural Desktop objects to straight AutoCAD linework. Note that this is NOT the same thing as using the "Save As..." command.

5. Select a place in your project directory for the converted drawing to go. By default, the prefix "ACAD-" is added to the file name, but this can be changed. Note that you cannot overwrite a file you currently have open; AutoCAD will create a new file. Afterwards, you can simply delete or archive the older files and move the new files to the proper location as needed. Be sure to preserve your file names so as to not break your X-ref paths.

6. Now, back at your own workstation and using good ol' ADT 3.3, you should be able to open up the newly-cleansed files without any of the dreaded "ARX_ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass" messages and weird dialogue boxes. At this point, reload any X-refs you unloaded back in Step 3. You're done!

Mar 23, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Don't you just Hate Auto Dud!

Mar 23, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I generally don't have a problem with AutoCAD itself (but then, I've been using it for over a decade and I'm familiar with most of its quirks), but I loathe Architectural Desktop with a passion that passes all human understanding.

As others here will attest to, each CAD platform has its own pros and cons and its own loyalists and detractors. As soon as you discover a CAD platform that's perfect, be sure to let us know.

Mar 23, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyMache

Thanks 'Living in Gin' - Your response was a big help. Thanks to people like yourself our BIG cad problems instantly become very small.

Mar 23, 06 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: