Archinect
anchor

Government Contract Acquisition?

impalajunkie

Anyone work for a firm that does government contract projects?
How does one go about finding contracts out for bid?
I understand that these most likely don't allow for ground breaking architectural acheivements, but its always nice to pay the bills.

Mar 21, 06 4:22 pm
www.fbodaily.com

Most of these contracts are done as AE contracts (Architecture and Engineering). They are open contracts onto which you cut Purchase Orders (if needed), these contracts have a shelf life of (i think) 5 years?! (memory is getting rusty).

Get a copy of the FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations) that explains the process, forms, etc... in excrutating detail.

Mar 21, 06 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Yeah the FAR is pretty painful...certainly a reference document and not a read-through.

Also consider that the government has regulations supporting what are known as "small, disadvanged" businesses. These are businesses of a limited number of employees that are run by females, minorities, or any one of a number of categories determined to be disadvantaged in the area of obtaining government contracts. Something to consider if you and/or your firm qualify. Definitely increases your chances of contracting it yourself or teaming as a sub.

To elaborate on +q's description, the government will often award a 5 year general contract to a pool of contractors and will assign specific task orders (or none as the case might be) to contractors as they need. Have to recompete after the 5 year runs out, but that's standard for the gov't. So, via the FedBizOpps link +q provided, find out who is about to compete a new contract, get the RFP, and throw your hat in the ring.

Although probably not groundbreaking, the Air Force base here in LA just built a completely new 3 building office facility that doesn't completely suck.

Good luck!

Mar 21, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

broccoli,

does the Air Force try to fomment good design?, I negotiated 2 AE and often cut PO's to other existing AE contracts when I was in, but design wasn't even in my radar screen at that time.

The GSA and their "National Architect" promote both sustainabliity and a culture of design excellence (thus all the Morphosis work), which I think is good.

Mar 21, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

+q -- i don't think i have a definitive answer to that question, but it is certainly the most forward leaning of the services regarding design of their facilities...maintaining the whole "high tech" perception. The design for the Air Force Academy cadet area (the chapel in particular) are most notable. Academy was completed in '58. Chapel was designed by Walter A. Netsch Jr. of SOM-Chicago and built soon thereafter.

The work here at the base in LA certainly isn't pushing envelopes, but it seems thoughtfully laid out and shows that whoever designed it certainly had aesthetics as a priority.

Since I'm a dope and can't figure out how to attach a photo, check out www.losangeles.af.mil to see an image of the concept drawing (top right of the page). The construction is pretty much complete btw.

Mar 21, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: