Archinect
anchor

Kinko's; Rip-off?

evilplatypus

So i've been spending a lot of time at kinko's using the internet and printing. As of my last month credit card statement I've concluded that Kinko's is the most terrible place in the world except for the music. Currently I'm listening to "What about love". Normally it would make me puke, but at the moment it seems appropriate.

I listen to people fight over prices everyday. I didnt even know zip disks still exited and yet as of last week I bought a retro zip drive which by the way is more expensive than a CDR drive so I can carry crapp back to my place.

My hero has been the crotchy old guy who wandered in from the bar next door to buy an HP printer cart. which I had attempted to the week before, but was told theres none in stock because the rack is serviced by an outside vendor. When the old man was told this he angrily snapped back at the pierced mop, " well get a new f**cking vendor cause this one aint doing Sh**t".

That is why his generation won WW2. They didnt stand for outside vendors jerking us around.

Mar 20, 06 6:06 pm
evilplatypus

Dude- Seve Winwood just rocked the kinko's followed by we got the beat....the beat goes on indeed.

Mar 20, 06 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

when you get caught between the moon and f--king kinko's
i know it's crazy -- but it's true
when you get caught between the moon and f--king kinko's
best that you can do
best that you can do
is flip them off

Mar 20, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Kentique
http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000453073566/

try this if your tech-y. Im not, so I cant.

Mar 20, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

seriously...pre-decent color inkjet printers (think: mid-internet-boom) i had to print out my third-year portfolio at the kinko's at medical arts and 26th st (now dean keeton) in austin, right across from the law school. back in those pre-1 GHz days it took forfreakinever to do it as i had to send all the prints myself, and it cost me over $100 in glossy prints.

then i asked them--ha ha, foolishly--to spiral bind the thing while i went back to fort worth for xmas and tried to get back together with my ex-girlfriend from high school. both endeavors were unsuccessful, as i got a call from kinko's somewhere around dec 27th saying that they had ruined my pages by punching the wrong margins (after i had marked the correct side in repro-free blue pencil). they did allow me to reprint the files for free at the kinko's in fort worth, but it still took another six days

and she said she was dating someone closer to home

Mar 20, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

kinkos sucks and a 2 year old could scribble better than kinkos can print

Mar 20, 06 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

kinkos sucks and a 2 year old could scribble better than kinkos can print

Mar 20, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
some person

My Kinko's motto since 1998 has been, "It will take twice as long and cost three times more than you expect it will."

I usually get grumpy at Kinko's. However, last year I visited the on-campus FedEx-Kinko's at the University of Minnesota. I received excellent customer service and actually paid less than I was anticipating. I chalk it up to the generally pleasant disposition of midwesterners.

Dang, I hate living on the east coast.

...THERE, Kinko's made me grumpy again. I hate Kinko's.

Mar 20, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

I hate kinkos !! over priced... rude... very very poor customer service..

I got my portfolio (three sets, high quality photo paper) printed from another print shop.. for 10% the amount kinkos quoted .. better quality prints too!! and the icing on top - free binding and backup copies !! I kid you not !!

amazing .. i guess kinkos have to learn a thing or two about customer service!!

Mar 21, 06 8:07 am  · 
 · 

do you guys remember the Dave Chapelle sketch about Kinko's?

Mar 21, 06 8:23 am  · 
 · 
AP

PopCopy! Yes.

Mar 21, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

nope ... what was it about ?

Mar 21, 06 8:38 am  · 
 · 
Popcopy

Chappelle plays the manager in a Popcopy (clearly a Kinko's) store training tape. Featuring cameos by his Half Baked co-star Guillermo Diaz as well as Michael Rapaport, the tape shows Popcopy's employees how to behave and essentially piss off the customers. Anyone who has ever been in one of these massive chain copystores can relate.

Mar 21, 06 8:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

evilp, are you working on your own now?!

I strongly dislike kinko's because yes they are very expensive and not real helpful. But for a small business trying to keep overhead low, honestly they offer a fairly useful service. I like that I can deal with Fed Ex there and get large format copies there and not have to have that stuff in-house.

Also, some of their staff are awful, and some are wonderful. I complimented one of the more knowledgeable ones on her new haircut one day and she has given me very good service ever since. But when she's not there I'm lucky if they even have someone running the cash register fer chrissake let alone offering technical help!

And, I always come out of there with some bizarre song running through my head.

Mar 21, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Does Kinko Play HankWilliams?

Mar 21, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Kinkos is evil.

Mar 21, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

they took the large-format copy machine out of the only austin kinko's that had it (i think)

but, gotta say, the fedex guy down at the kinko's in my hood is on his job

Mar 21, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

kinko's can't give you hank williams, but kinko's can give you howard jones

the time i was complaining about a zip-drive malfunction and the song "no one is to blame" came on...that was irony the likes of which no copy card can buy

Mar 21, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
n_

kinkos charged me $70 to scan a 24"x36" drawing that i had done. my school charged me $9.

i now only support locally owned printing shops.

Mar 21, 06 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: