Archinect
anchor

best way to digitize old drawings?

hyperbolical paraboloid

I know some of you are experts on this--I have some old drawings that are 30" x 42" and bigger-- and I can't store them any longer so want to digitize them, but need high quality--is there a way to take them to kinko's to scan (some are on board, some are on vellum) or do I need to get camera work. any advice would be appreciated. I am on a budget too.

Mar 20, 06 10:42 am
mimo

It would probably be more economical for you to take actual pictures of your drawings, both digital and film. Since your drawings are mounted I wouldn't risk taking them off the board. You can get great resolution using a digi cam. I say film because of archival reasons, if your digital files get deleted for some reason you're screwed, but film will last a lifetime. Make sure you have proper lighting and if there are color drawings make sure you use a color calibration card so that your color hues and tones come out accurate. However, make sure you take your film to a professional photo lab, not walmart or grocery store type places.

Mar 20, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
adso

A lot depends on the media of the drawings. Are they line or tone or color? In my experience , photogrphing line drawings just never produces a good reproduction, and sometimes you are better served by scanning them in pieces at home and assembling them in Photoshop than spending the time and the money to get them shot. Tone and color drawings, especially if they read well, can be photgraphed effectively, but either way I would try to find a place (not Kinko's) that professionally deals with scanning and discuss it with the person there. If it becomes obvious that they are not experienced in these things, find another place.

You should aslo hedge your bets, shoot/scan them (especially the details) as much as you can yourself, so even if the entire board/drawing isn't adequately documented, you do have some usuable images.

There are always budgetary concerns, but when this work is gone, it's gone forever, so if these drawings are worth preserving, they are worth spending a little money on.

Oh, and backup. Burn a couple of disks and have one at your parents (or wherever) in case your hard drive fails.

Mar 20, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

the best would be to get some graphics place to do a large-scale scan like j mentioned. but that usually can get VERY costly. i think we did an estimate and it was something like $10+ per square foot. which adds up if you're doing a whole set of drawings. 30x42 sheet will cost you at least $80...

the budget option is to scan yourself in pieces and assemble in photoshop. but this takes a large amount of time. but you can get quite decent results.

photos will distort the image because of the lens and if you want to print them or scale them it presents a problem.

3rd option. get an intern to draft them up in cad.

Mar 20, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

big scans are done on drum scanners, so you can't scan large boards that way.

for the boards, you'll need to photograph.

Mar 20, 06 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

big scans are done on drum scanners, so you can't scan large boards that way.

for the boards, you'll need to photograph.

Mar 20, 06 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

agfa, there are some really huge scanners that will do flat boards. And there are some places i know that are not too expensive as Ants mentioned in the LA region.

hyperboloid, please email me and i shall connect you to them, if you are in LA (- these guys are in pasadena, btw.)

dont bother with taking pics, unless you need very low quality

Mar 20, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i know blair graphics (woodland hills & santa monica) does it LA as well.

Mar 20, 06 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

sameold... how big are we talking? A0? wow.

Mar 20, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: