Archinect
anchor

Vincent Van Gogh meets Le Corbusier

jforrest

Vincent Willem Van Gogh, probably known as much for his embodiment of the myth of the ”˜tortured romantic artist' as for his painterly work. And yet, of course, the two are quite related, and art may even have acted as a mechanism to treat and contain the artist's depression. I wonder if there something to be found in his paintings, that helped bring coherence to his mind. In many of his works, warm-bright details shine in the middle of a dark void (bright landscapes or elements juxtaposed against the overwhelmingly dark sky, or, as in ”˜The Potato Eaters', dark silhuettes huddled around bright light). In some paintings, the subject matter is arranged to balance order and disorder (a play found typically in nature, and in post-impressionism, but nonetheless able to focus one's attention on ”˜potential stability'). And there is the playful quality of the textural strokes, which seems to bring ”˜life' to the most barren elements. Could any of these ”˜types' be useful in the development of a peace-inducing architectural space? (chapel, treatment center, etc.) Are any better than the others? Is there a place, in our clean and modernist spaces, for an implementation of such ”˜painterly' mechanisms?

Mar 20, 06 12:44 am
Nevermore

'painterly' ?

Mar 20, 06 1:09 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

Light, shade, texture are common 'colours' in the architect's palette. I would describe Van Gogh's latest paintings as disturbing, not peace inducing! They seem to be expressions of his inner demon.

I wonder, do any architects have inner demons?!

Mar 20, 06 2:00 am  · 
 · 
upside

i have a pair that live on my shoulders, jay and silent bob style

Mar 20, 06 3:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Maybe VG's later disturbing works could equatete to this living hell?

Mar 20, 06 5:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: