Archinect
anchor

Ruinistic materials

Greendesignr

Years ago, thinkers like Ruskin would look at the european alps and wonder: "Are these original organic forms, or ruins of something else?" (Ruins hint st some earlier original, yet are powerful in their own right, i.e. Stonehenge) It is this particular quality that might allow me to use them as a mechanism in my quest to remodel a 'picturesque' home ('cottage castle) without restoring to stylistic measures. In considering the existing home as a 'ruin', I am interested in ensuring that any return to an original is also an enhancement to the current quality of 'ruin' (such as in the filling-in of openings with transluscent materiality, or making a roof-less rooms into indoor courtyards). Are there other ways to do this?

Mar 19, 06 9:53 pm
newstreamlinedmodel

Read up on Albert Spear and watch you step. You green designer hippie types have to make sure that you stay LEFT-Heidegarian or else it just gets scarry.

Mar 20, 06 12:07 am  · 
 · 

can't answer your question directly because it sounds like you need advice from others of us who could actually visit this castle. but kahn wrote some wonderful things about ruins: specifically, projecting what you've made into the future > imagining it as a ruin.

Mar 20, 06 7:35 am  · 
 · 
noci

what's the goal of the remodelling? to make teh home.... contemporary? without betraying the underlying roots of the past? i don't really get the aim you're taking, but i've also thought about ruins and their athmosphere for quite some time (but then, i'm a romantic dork).
.. and what's a "stylistic" measure..? surely the examplary techniques you mention seem "stylish" to me; but what the heck, it's not immoral to want to make some impact, me thinks.
anyways, i'm really interested in this, as it's also dangerous territory in terms of running the risk of sounding backwards-oriented. or even romantic. hell, cottage castle.. getting lost in hazy daydreams, here

Mar 20, 06 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Greendesignr

thank you steve wonderful insight, definately helped answer some of my questions about ruins....

noci.. mostly to imagine a ruin and fill in the missing parts with something ( possibly glass) that would shelter it from the elements without taking too much away....being able to see the elements and 'ruin' shapes but most importantly the way the light might shine through the glass into a space like this...? Will it be organic shapes? premeditated patterns? would some other material be a better tool to manipulate light and shadows?
I carefully address this by experimentation, which will really be the final factor towards outcomes of how stylized or disasterous it could be? What other material could be used to filter light or change an element through a material? im not sure what else I could use as a material...?

Mar 22, 06 9:51 am  · 
 · 
noci

i understand better now--
yes, glass is very seductive as a preserving skin and "neutral" material to fill gaps, and to isolate newly found internal space from the outside. yet it may seem pedantic at times, pointing the finger, like in a museum, that "something of importance is preserved here".

i would definately use a ot of glass, too-- but what about being a bit less careful and bringing some other materials into the equation that (i.e. in combination with glass) have a greater (textural /surface / felt weight etc) quality on their own? .. and create new situations by juxtaposing (not necessarily in a blunt fashion) the "ruinous substance" with "fragments of now".

from the top of my head in no particular order, what would i use.. some gaze-like material that is semi-transparent (tightly woven metal meshes, to control light and viewing angles), metal sheeting to selectively cover up the substance (i.e. as exaggerated roofing to shield exposed walls [in your courtyard! :]), in the interior-- veneers that betray their contemporary origin (not because the pattern is en vogue, but i.e. because the surface is too regularly textured to be natural),
and hey there are plenty of types of glass, opaque, semi-transparent, inlaid with metal threading etc---
then again, you might also fill gaps where appropriate- i.e. even seal them with 'crete, so that the border between once and now becomes important, or seal it with some sort of translucent epoxy or whatnot-resin so that the transparent shape would follow the outline of the gap more thruthfully (in my mind, i imagine jagged holes where the windows once were- filled with a regular "window", it would destroy the outline with its regularity)-
gosh i'm spamming. generally speaking, i'd aim for craeting "context"; to which extremes you wanna go there i have no idea.
i'd love to see the results of what you come up with.

Mar 22, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: