Archinect
anchor

Multifunctional living spaces

laistm

The concept of multifunctionality within the home has always interested me. From simple thing like just rearranging furniture within the living room to accomodate an added list of functions to redesigned furniture with multifunctions - like shower cupboard to to actual manipulations of planes - like walls n partitions to suit the requirements of the person living there.... Japan seems to have done a lot of research on living in tight spaces... i'd like your views on the issue at hand

Mar 18, 06 3:24 am
laistm

say anything?

Mar 18, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 

sounds great. not much else to say about it. not so much a research proposal as a design exercise, hm?

have a gander at steven holl's hinged spaces project in fukuoka for one example. or, heck, even rietveld's schroeder house.

there was a project in dwell a year or so ago about a guy with a <500sf apt in ny and all the machinations he had undertaken to make it bedroom, dining room, office, etc. nifty.

Mar 18, 06 9:32 am  · 
 · 
laistm

i know about steven hall's project and also about the schroeder house...it turns out that the schroeder house doesn't have the aspect of multifunctionality fully explored...even though it's so famous.

I'd like to know more about this apartment in NY you're talking about

Mar 18, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 
laistm

Mar 18, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Multi-functional domestic space has a much longer history than that of one-function-per-room characterizing residential design in the last the last century or two. Before that, most people--entire extended families--resided in one, two, or three rooms serving a variety of functions depending on time of day and season. (Often, this included the family business, too.)

The exception to this, of course, has always been the costly homes of the wealthy--which are the most described in architectural literature, unfortunately, even today.

Mar 18, 06 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

By the way, check out the Schindler House in Los Angeles (West Hollywood), built ca. 1922. One exquisitely designed multi-purpose room for each person in the small communal household. It's not big on morphing furniture, though.

Mar 18, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: