Archinect
anchor

Consulting...what do you think?

tinydancer

So... I am interviewing for a position as a construction consultant.  I am close to finishing IDP but can't find a job at an architecture firm to finish my hours.  I don't think I can get any credit for the consulting as I need hours in Categories A and B which require work under a licensed architect.  (I don't have an offer and don't want to jinx myself...but considering what may happen). Or do I keep looking at architecture firms?  (Which I have to say, I have been very disappointed with...several interviews going nowhere.  Jobs posts that I interview for then they decide not to hire anyone. No response whatsoever. Etc, etc, etc.  I am sure many people here have had the same thing).

The job does sound intriguing...I would have direct contact with Owners and Architects which could be beneficial down the road.  The job would require a lot of travel, which isn't ideal, but the money would be good and allow me to pay off student loans.

Any advice?  I really do want to get my license-have started taking ARE's and only have about 700 hours left of IDP.  But I am just getting nowhere looking for an architecture job.  And would really like to get back to work!

Thanks in advance!

Jan 22, 12 12:11 pm
citizen

This sounds like a good opportunity, on several levels.  One thing to check is the clock running on your IDP hours (old guy here, not familiar with the current system).

This (potential) bird-in-the-hand may easily squash those two in the bushes, at least for now.

Jan 22, 12 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

A bird in the hand is worth a flock in the bush.

Jan 22, 12 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
druf

I would take the construction job. 

a) The employment outlook in architecture may be dim for a little while still.  Being employed is a good thing for a # of reasons.  If you take it and then a job in an architectural firm opens itself up to you in a little while, there is no reason you couldn't take it then.

b) There is nothing wrong with a little cross training in a related field.  It might give you good experiences and make you a better professional and more attractive for the future.

c) Everyone in architecture will know that the profession was sucking right now.  Seeing that you had the initiative to go out and make something happen for yourself is a good thing.

Jan 22, 12 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Provided you can satisfy yourself that you won't sacrifice your accumulated IDP hours, go for it. The experience will make you a better architect.

Jan 22, 12 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Thanks for the advice! Now fingers crossed!

Jan 22, 12 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

What is a "construction consultant"?

Jan 22, 12 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

A CM agent (opposed to at risk) is a good example of a construction consultant, won.

Jan 23, 12 8:34 am  · 
 · 
tinydancer

It would be a CM Agent working for the Owner and managing the project for them from design, through construction and move in.

Jan 23, 12 11:59 am  · 
 · 
doodles

What do you know about CM?

Jan 23, 12 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
h ercan ornek

I have a small architectural firm and I do get some help from time to time, online help worked well for me too. Feel free to call me and leave message.

1 847 477 9500

Ercan

Feb 3, 12 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: