Archinect
anchor

$0 Tuition for Stanford?!!!

SuperBeatledud
Stanford

is offering free tuition next year for students whose families make less than 45k and $3,800 for students whose families make less than 60k...the normal tuition is $33,000. WTF? Why make this decision when I'm out of schools and most importantly IN DEBT! But good for them none the less.

Mar 16, 06 1:28 pm
oldirty

They should probably just lower the tuition for everyone than do this-I think it could really cause a lot of resentment amongst the kids who actually are going to have to go into debt.

They are just following what schools like Princeton and Harvard have been doing for a couple of years now in terms of reducing (apparently eliminating) the burden on lower income familes-but they should just lower the burden on everyone.

I think the cost of higher education and the amount of debt that we (and everyone) is starting life and career with should be a major campaign issue if the politicans had any brains.

Mar 16, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

the only reason that it's is not a major campaign issue is that too many people our age (18-30) do not vote... not only do we not vote, but we sure as hell don't give a substantial amount of campaign contributions... until we force the politicians to listen to our concerns by voting, we will continue to get the shaft...

Mar 16, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

That's awesome!!!!! Excellent idea. Although on the one hand it's sad that the Universities have to pony up where the government is failing, on the other hand, it's the Universities that are hiking up tuition way past inflation rate.

Mar 16, 06 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

That's because state and governments aren't giving the universities proper funding...

Mar 16, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Well... I don't that's entirely the case. Harvard, for example, has something like a 23 billion dollar endowment... not exactly hurting for cash. And yet tuition continues to outpace inflation, even there. Some of it has to do with an image thing, definitely. "If we cost a lot, we MUST be quality!" This fallacy of logic actually holds true to consumption habits in the marketplace. For example, if you list an item on Craigslist for free, no one will take it. If you make it even just $10, you'll get offers right away. Weird phenomenon.

Mar 16, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Seriously??? Stanford grad school, here I come!

But really I think the reason to do it now is because California has stopped giving schools as much money and tuition here has actually risen to the point that enrollment rates are suffering and there is becoming a more noticeable class gap, and they're probably just trying to do their bit to help that out.

Mar 16, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

oh, shoot... undergrads only. = (

Mar 16, 06 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: