Archinect
anchor

Debbie Harry joins the list of CELEBS into architecture

downtown_81

I actually think that she would be an interesting voice in terms of city / urban planning debate. Apparently shes into efforts to save the LES from gentrification since she's exactly the kind of person who made it cool to live there in the first place. Is her voice unique?
She is an icon of New Yorks Downtown Scene and is still a total scenester herself - even though she lives in Chelsea.

Mar 15, 06 4:52 pm
MysteryMan

Georgia Tek gave us these Architects:

Mar 16, 06 5:06 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

That’s not the point.

We were talking about Debbie Harry here. I think we should take her up as the new messiah of architecture. Surely one of these swanky schools could use a dean.

The minute someone like her comes into the equation I realize that every think I think is cool in architecture right now is only cool in a relative since as in “that’s cool for architecture”

Debbie Harry is cool in a deep, absolute, cosmic sense. If we could learn that we might be relevant again.

Mar 16, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I wonder about these celebs as architects. It seriously seems as if they see it as some kind of "cute" little side thing they can get into now that they're tired of being musicians/actors/athletes/whatever. I think they see architecture as something they can just get into and do without any kind of education about it, basically I don't know if they're taking it seriously. Debbie Harry might be the exception here because she has been vocal in the urban environment, she sounds legitimately concerned and if she wants to put the work in and sacrifice like we have to become architects than more power to her or any celeb that wants to pursue architecture. I just don't wanna see these people come in and think just because they're celebs that they can design some hideous monstrosity and put more crappy buildings on the skyline.

Mar 16, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I’d rather have a hideous monstrosity by Debbie Harry than a hideous monstrosity my Rem Koolhaus. If we are going to reduce our selves to hair dressers we should learn from the ones with the best hair. I mean, who would you rather have design your Icon. Some geeky dude who’s been reading books about iconicity and the new picturesque or an honest-to-god living Icon incarnate? If she needs draftsmen and job captains and what-not I can fucking start tomorrow man.

Or what if we just go Jeff Koons to do a giant porcelain clad-statue the same scale as the statue of Liberty of Debbie Harry holding up a Zippo lighter and put that up instead of the Caltrava torqued box thing. The two could face each other across the harbor. Where would you rater live? In some box by the bird man or in Debbie’s mini-skirt?

Mar 16, 06 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Actually I'd probably live in the Calatrava building then debbie's crotch, i might be able to stay for a little bit in her crotch buy eventually i'd probably pull out because i'd get tired and limp after a week or so, besides, it would probably smell. I imagine the town house in the sky would proably be roomier too, and alot more more natural light.

Just because she's an icon doesn't mean she'd know how do design one. You know, i think im gonna drop out of this architecture thing and become a doctor, i've always been into that kind of stuff and i feel i would enjoy it, i'm not gonna get any formal training though, im just gonna open up a back alley clinic and treat people without medical insurance. Who care's if kill a few in the process.

Mar 16, 06 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: