Archinect
anchor

which comes first? Pencil or mouse?

ThinKing

When composing a solution, what do you reach for? Mouse or Pencil? When responding, please state your age (or decade)

Mar 14, 06 9:11 am

if it's a project that i get to take from programming through a more rigorous design/thinking phase, always a manual tool. either wood pencil or lead holder. sometimes rollerball in sketchbook.

if it's a smallish 'solution' type project with a known materials palette and limited spatial variability (e.g., a concession/restroom building for athletic fields), can go straight to mouse. usually sketchup these days. can't do much designing with autocad no matter how simple the project. am learning revit to use in a similar way as i now use sketchup - but with the ability to keep in the same program for production.

soon to be 40. late adopter of any computer tools; 1995-96. still prefer to draw - both freehand and hand-drafting - but don't get to hand-draft at all these days.

Mar 14, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
R.C. Barn

28 :: Male :: White like :: 5'10" :: 165 lbs :: Dark Hair :: Scruffy facial upkeep

Looking for Female; age 23-32, MUST have a large personality, likes to sunbath, and owns an iPod (generation 3-5 prefered).

Mar 14, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

23 years old

pen and trace 4 life

Mar 14, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
hibz

pencil definitely. any kind of pencil on any kind of paper nothing fancy. mouse helps clear up stuff at a later stage.

Mar 14, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
hibz

oh right forgot hehe.. 21ish

Mar 14, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
hibz

(of course before that, i reach for a good chunky cup of coffee)

Mar 14, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I sleep on it visualize it in my mind...dance with it ....I mean tango with the idea. Dream with it, long for it to go dance on the screen for me... then zap it is there.

Mar 14, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

pen and pencil in sketchbook - just turned 26

Mar 14, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

I start by sketching with pencil or a red ballpoint on any kind of paper, usually just a sketchpad or bristol sometimes. I then go over it more precisely with black felt tips like a Pentel "Sign" (Thick lines), an unknown but common Papermate pen (Medium) and a Pilot Razor point or Sharpie Ultra Fine (thin). You can have a couple of color pencils around, at least 3 colors, to further accent what your conveying. Then I go to the computer.

Mar 14, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

It varies - pencil [a Mars 780] seems to be employed if I have the time to sketch, or if the idea is at a very early stage, or if I get a flash of geometry. The mouse is used for stuff that I can't draw well [more complicated geometry in Acad, or Rhino] or if the project is dull.

Personal stuff is more likely to start in pencil.

Flash Geometry.

I am almost 30.

Mar 14, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

2H & 6B pencil; fine ink & watercolor.
23f

Mar 14, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
grid

20 - male

1. mouse for research
2. pencil or pen
3. mouse

Mar 14, 06 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

i use whatever means necessary because i can't draw perspectives very well. sometimes my drawings go out of scale and run outside of paper after few lines. i remember a drawing teacher saying "in order do draw well, you have to flatten everything in your mind and draw it that way"...
sometimes i draw really good. but i don't really design thru drawings that much. except standart architectural drawings like plan, section, elevation. pencil, mouse, bic all ok.. too much design depiction bore me and i get slopy and careless. it is important to get construction information on to the drawings. my hats off for people who can draw well. good drawings and draftsmanship use to be more important before the computers. if you draw a lot you can get good at it but great draftsmanship requires a talent. there was always one or two people in the class who could make great drawings.
though, i still have about a dozen sketch books filled up, with mostly off drawings.
as far as cad goes, i only know .dwg, which is very useful for me.

Mar 14, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

I will say that I am losing the little drawing ability I have to Sketchup.

Mar 14, 06 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Black pen on yellow trace.

Due to the inability to determine scale on the computer (ability to zoom destroys "scale"). Also, can sketch multiple schemes very quickly.

Then later, mouse.

6'-1", white male, brown hair, brown eyes, mid 30's, likes: long walks on the beach, dislikes: dirty fingernails.

Mar 14, 06 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

wow I completely missed this thread. I love surveys.

felt-tip pen and pencil + sketchbook and trace

...then marker and trace

...then some frustrating forays into the depths of CAD

...and then usually back to my sketchbook.

I am 27-F. (hey, RC Barn, does an iPod Mini count? :o)

Mar 14, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
jh

start with black pen on yellow trace. sometimes move on to a blue/red/green (someother color) so i can try to keep some kind of order. move to the mouse once i am somewhat satisfied with the sketch. i then sketch over the printout and then take it back to the computer - repeat as necessary. funny story - my old boss once used his monte blanc on my monitor - i should have had him sign it; could have been worth some money. male, 28.

Mar 14, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
meta

pencil always makes the difference for me. i would rather look down on something (literally)- a piece of paper, sketch book.. to come up with a design than to look straight on a computer screen.

Mar 14, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
upside

fat artline on sketchbook.

fingers on greasy plate (when ya gotta go ya gotta go)

m. 23. i draw from the feet up. specialy ninja turtles. if i start from the head then the paper runs out before i get to the knees.

Mar 14, 06 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
meta

male early 20`s.

Mar 14, 06 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
e

the pencil had to draw the mouse.

Mar 14, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

23 m

chipboard/clay/basswood/pink foam
ebony pencil
pens
mouse

i'll confess that i'm reading this mainly to see how old people are.

Mar 14, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

well here you go SH. 39 in a week and a half.

Mar 14, 06 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

pen on trace and i'm 23

Mar 14, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
AP

for starters,
pen or pencil in sketchbook
mostly plans/sections/elevations/or some diagrammatic hybrid
moving in series to spatial combinations of above 2-d sketches
(favor axo to perspective)

then to drawing table, usually pencil on trace or vellum, then pen over the pencil, once my mind is made up.

3-d modeling sprinkled throughout,
usually hand (for personal design),
sometimes computer, more often so lately (for work related design).

kicking and screaming to CAD, only when absolutely necessarry.

24 and three quarters.

Mar 14, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

depends, of course (total cop-out i know)

pencil on paper is cool for most things. i like to write as much as sketch ideas so...(writing on a computer sucks hind teat).

BUT lots of projects lately i just go straight to cinema 4d and see what i can make...or i pick up a bit of styrofoam and start cutting.

when stuck, i reach for my guitar and start playing the blues...works better than you might think.

drawing table gives me the willies, AP. how you get hooked an so young?

middle of decade the third.

Mar 15, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

to design ... pencil/pen for sure ..

never got the hang of designing in the virtual world ...

Mar 15, 06 1:22 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

oh ... and..

age - 26

Mar 15, 06 1:23 am  · 
 · 
ThinKing

Interesting stuff and thanks to everyone who has so far contributed. I am pleased to see that the pencil is still mightier than the mouse.

I hope to collect all this and figure out whether we really are migrating to a paperless office or will the pencil still be king.

Personanally I am comfertable designing on both but I do like the flexibility and freedom that pencil and paper have.

It is also the medium I am most familiar with and when sketching up concepts, the more transparent the interface the better.

I did invest in a cheapo tablet (Tiny £60) and that was a horrible experience. The thing is absolutley unusable. Anyone got any preferences / advice when it comes to graphic tablets (and pens)?

btw 29M

Mar 15, 06 4:21 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Hi
Digitizers is for me the only right tool, I draw 3D things so a sketch or any 2D drawing is vaste.
Vaste as it hold me in a 2D perception ,Digitixer becaurse it is not as anyone seem to think just another mouse no, a Digitizer is the real thing.

Just need to get used to it before you can even profit from a presision instrument. A Mouse is mainly for pointing to menu fields or pointing to a program you want to start, it is mainly used for anything else than drawing, and when used for that it ------- a mouse is a very rough "pen" , that is realy not made to work as such ,but all this only show how easy it is to judge something when you acturly don't know it.

How can anyone compare a mouse with a pen, a mouse that is just a bad replacement for a digitizer, that don't offer a fraction of what a digitizer offer, ---- how is it possible to say that you prefere a pen when you don't know that the mouse are a rough replacement for the real thing, the digitizer.

Mar 15, 06 6:02 am  · 
 · 

agree that, before the software got smarter, a mouse was a pretty frustrating and inaccurate tool. but with the software's ability to snap, maintain ortho, and 'predict' where you're going (in some cases), that problem is gone.

but now you've blown it vindpust. even if we had been tempted to take you seriously in your role as the new per, how could we even think about it after this paean to the digitizer.

btw, i had one once. it was good place on which to rest your coffee cup. that's about it. no, i take that back. i made some pretty cool doodles on the paper templates.

Mar 15, 06 7:33 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

PER!

Mar 15, 06 8:53 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Hi

Bye!

Mar 15, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 

damn you romans!

not sure how the digitiser works with per's 3d models but seems to me he hasn't BUILT anything to digitise anyway, so what is he on about?

oh no, i am responding to per. quick, shoot me!

Mar 15, 06 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

pencil for me, the mouse is crap

Mar 16, 06 4:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: