Archinect
anchor

Remote Office

Gabe Bergeron

As technology advances, the officeplace becomes less and less important - perhaps the virtual will replace the physical.

I'm trying to find a method for doing work for a firm in a different part of the world. Does anyone know of a good platform for working remotely?

Here's what I'd like to find:
A format that allows video conferencing with attached sketching and image loading capabilities. (I'd like to meet with someone face to face and be able to sketch some ideas for them on screen in real time, where they can add to the sketch... perhaps like overlaying sheets of trace - as well as be able to find and load examples on the internet or from a personal image library)

Any suggestions?

Mar 13, 06 10:58 am
ideo

i think u should cooperate with some software programmers to work on a website or sth. by combining the existing video/sketching techniques it's possible to make a digital platform that way.

Mar 14, 06 3:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

that'd be a HUGE undertaking to develop software that works effeciently like that. You can most likely find something that works for you. Look at the usuals, like Go To My PC:

https://www.gotomypc.com/en_US/entry.tmpl?_sid=81075109%3A27010D7723D5364&Action=rgoto&_sf=2'

Mar 14, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 
liberaceisdead

Is Gabe Bergeron your real name?

Mar 14, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I had a prof at the University of Minnesota who helped write SketchUp, and such had an open sourche code of the program. He made a version in which you put on a headset and gloves and walked around this giant empty white room that monitored your movement based on sensors on the gloves and helmet. With your perception, you saw your physical building (much in the SketchUp modeling style) and could walk over to a podium with your push pull, line tools, etc. You could then physically make your massing model, add door and window components, and walk through your design when you were finished. It all looked insanely real. The entire class got to try it out.

My prediction: 10-15 years every major firm will have a VR room (much like a holosuite at Quark's) where architects will log hours in there building their model and ideas in interactive 3D..

Mar 14, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

Interesting ideas - I've been talking to a programmer friend - just have to convince him to take the time :P

I looked into gotomypc.com and found www.gotomeeting.com - which is kinda close, but with no fancy sketchy part. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a consumer! and was hoping to just buy a product already out there... turn off the brain and so forth - but perhaps I'll need to adapt something.

(Dadgummit, how come my consumption patterns often don't fit the carefully researched and clustered market offerings?)

And yes, I'm Gabe

Mar 14, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: