Archinect
anchor

revit on mac

noguy

Hi I need to purchase a new computer and it will need to run revit. I am curious to know people's experience on using revit, via bootcamp (or some other alternative software) on either Imacs or mac book pros. Obviously the desire is aesthetic driven but I do not want to be hampered by the hardware. Please let me know if there are any bugs in this config from your experience.

Thanks

Jan 20, 12 8:57 am

I decided to go with Parallels Desktop instead of using bootcamp. Instead of partitioning the hard drive, it runs Windows programs on the Mac OS alongside other Mac programs. You can decide how much RAM is dedicated to Windows programs and how much is for Mac programs. I just got a Mac last semester with 8 GB, and I've found when using Autodesk programs, using 4 GB on the Windows sides works. 6 GB will probably give you the best results. I haven't used Revit on this computer yet so I can't tell you anything for sure, but definitely look into Parallels.

Jan 21, 12 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Spackle

hey there - i have been running bootcamp on my imac for a few years and its great. no problems.  the install is a bit tedious, just make sure all of your software is update before you begin or you'll have some headaches.

I use a dell xps for my laptop.  These are underrated and if you're in the market, give it a serious look. This thing is a beast and a fully loaded one will come in an easy 1,000 USD less than a mac.  The speakers bump. for realz. The processor is fast and coupled with the graphics card and 1080 screen, you will be happy will rendering modeling performance.

Jan 22, 12 12:58 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I highly recommend Bootcamp. There can be graphics issues with Parallels as Revit checks the graphics hardware and doesn't recognize the virtualized one Parallels uses. if you are working in workshared projects, Parallels can also cause issues syncing as it can append path names.

Jan 24, 12 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: