Archinect
anchor

Artists’ studios

monicaseb

Artists' studios
I'm writing a paper on the relationship between art and the city; how a small cultural center with ARTISTS' STUDIOS can influence the neighborhood. How can they transform it, how can they influence the relations between people, how can they give new meanings to the environment and how can they help if they are involved in the development of the city. Do you know any examples of this kind of things? I know that there are in London, but I didn't find the locations or names of the architect.
Anything you know related to the subject could help me.

Thanks

Mar 12, 06 3:48 am
Medusa

See: SoHo, NYC circa 1960.

Mar 12, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

artist studios has died long time ago.
now there is
"art therapy living, artist studio lofts, urban living condos"
inhabitants don't paint much..

expensive too..

Mar 12, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

Investment Bankers who play artists on the weekends...

Mar 12, 06 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

a bit cliche, but i guess something 'designers' still like to talk about.
now it's 'cool' to live like an artist. trouble is, artists have never lived that way. but we can all pretend, i suppose.

Mar 12, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Artists are the hallmark for redevelopment. They move into a beat-to-hell neighborhood, make it hip, clubs move in, cafes and bookstores move in, then the home decor stores and pricey clothing boutiques, then rents soar, and the artists are forced out as the bankers who want a "bohemian" lifestyle move in - they are the only ones who can afford it any more. This is old news.

So most of the inner city warehouse district industial sites - across the country - are now upscale "loft" condos. Where are the artists going? I've gotta guess it's going to be the abandoned strip malls. Imagine: four or five artists move into an abandoned Home Depot and again have enormous space under soaring ceilings. None of the historical material luxury of old exposed brick, cast iron or bell concrete columns, or industrial sash windows, but lots of cheap space and few restrictions. Hopefully some skylights. Their artist friends rent out the former smaller retail space adjacent to the big box - the shoe stores, fast food stand-alones at the corners, etc.

Then comes the entourage of cool bars/etc. that followed the artists previously into the inner city. They set up in the former parking lots - maybe in shipping containers! Sort of a modern shanty town of small scale hip retail. Soon rents on the shantys go up, the large space formerly occupied by four artists gets subdivided into 20 condos, out go the artists to the next thing. Who knows, by then maybe it's the inner city again.

This is not my idea, mind. I'm sure I read this on Boxtank or somewhere, I can't recall where. But i'm fascinated by wondering where it is all going to go.

Mar 13, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

It's the dreadfull recycling of inner city and now suburbia that we are seeing and will keep seeing unless we have a balance of incomes in our neighborhoods. Why governments can't see that I don't understand.

Again, our inner cities are becoming hip and trendy, and larger incomes are moving in, where lower income people are now moving out to suburbs created in the 60's and 70's (it's happened to Minneapolis in like the last 3 years) and ofcourse the loft style is taking part.

I think this cycle is more than just the trendy lifestyle that follows artists. It's about crime, and diversified lifestyles. Soon the city is full of rich people with rich lifestyle and fast paced habits. Soon the wealthy tire of the urban headaches (because their is no diversity) and they decide "Hey, I want to move out to the country to live a more relaxed life" and so after 10-30 years of this re-urbanization, people start to demo the poor and old suburbs (or move even farther beyond) and relocate these inhabitants...to the inner city ofcourse! It's a sick and sad cycle.

Mar 13, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm a little confused by your post, SuperBeatledud. This is what confuses me:

Soon the wealthy tire of the urban headaches (because their is no diversity)

What are the urban headaches if there is no diversity? Aren't percieved headaches for the wealthy in the city caused by the fact that there is diversity and they are living adjacent to people whom they don't understand - or wish to?

My perception is that wealthy people are moving to super-rural locations: like Marfa, Texas for gawd's sake! And even further to Costa Rica etc.

Yes the urban poor and lower middle class are repopulating the older suburbs, I've seen this too. But are governments or circumstances really moving poor people back into the inner city?

Intersting discussion, I'm certainly not trying to stop it by saying you are wrong - just curious as to your viewpoint.

Mar 13, 06 11:39 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

See Bushwick

Mar 13, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
raj

in houston (HARDLY a bastion of urbananity!!), the evolution of the city seems like the current trend that will be happening. the land values rise. the townhomes, lofts, condos, etc begin to become the thing for the DINK (dual-income, no kids).

ironically, as those values rise...the current owners which SCARE the DINKs are offered $40,000 for thier house--this is 20-30k what the house is currently worth, and less than 1/4 of what it will be sold for, while the former owner is left with 40k...not enough to buy a house except in the suburbs.

this seems the case in many cities where the housing market is booming. it seems we are all following the model that is in cities like seattle and san fran...

then i am with you SBD...since the townhomes are so cheaply built...the poor will begin to be able to afford the old townhomes...

city now is ingested as just another product of consumerism!!

Mar 17, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: