Archinect
anchor

what exactly do architects do???

ak_asian89

I was wondering what architects do before they have thier own practice. interns, first jobs, right after licensure,

Mar 12, 06 3:48 am
swisscardlite

um..typically really shitty work..ok i wouldn't say shitty. you don't really design. you do details..learn about how a firm works..etc. it's all part of the educational process in which you learn how to become an architect...you can't really design without knowing the very basics first right?

well talk to an actual architect rather than me. i'm just a high school student.

Mar 12, 06 4:03 am  · 
 · 
comb
Careers in Architecture
Mar 12, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Friday mornings are always spent drawing....and well after a liquid lunch....the erase everything they did in the morning...that was in the old days.... today it is more like they compute all morning and hit the delete button after lunch...and sleep the rest of the afternoon.

Mar 12, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Yoda

its all about the space

Mar 12, 06 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

As an intern in school, one could end up doing a wide range of things: some interns do nothing but build presentation models, some nothing but cad, some do office work (answer phones, get coffee, make copies) and if they're lucky maybe do some real work now and then, and some do a bit of everything.

Just out of school, you get in there 40 hours a week, but what you do varies depending on your previous experience. If you have absolutely no internship experience, you'll probably end up doing a lot of red lines (mindnumbing corrections to already done drawings). If you've got a bit of experience, you could end up drafting and mayyyybe a tiny bit of design (think bathrooms, handicap ramps, etc.), or doing 3-D modeling and such to make the clients happy. You don't really get to design or have much control over anything really until you've got a good bit of experience under your belt.

Mar 12, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I always wondered why Handicapped Ramps looked so bad....now I know.....just kidding.

Mar 12, 06 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I’m so busy shopping for glasses and dealing with all the chicks that chase me around that it’s pretty hard to do much of anything. Sometimes I try to get out and have cocktails with rich, famous people though. Either that or get up early and do some watercolors while watching the sunrise.

Mar 12, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Architects communicate ideas, coordinate solutions, and problem solve more that most anything.

Mar 13, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: