Archinect
anchor

myspace

mdler

my offices myspace page...

http://www.myspace.com/unruhboyer

Mar 10, 06 12:54 pm
Elimelech

they have a website why did they feel the need to get a myspace? What do you wish to get out of it?

I am a bit of a web/chat/friendthingy-phobe, they seem like glorified yearbooks to me. Is it worth it for a business to take this approach? I am asking out of serious curiosity, because it may be the future and I may have to get with it.

Mar 10, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Isn't there a myspace the movie coming out?

Mar 10, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
Mar 10, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

I am a bit of a web/chat/friendthingy-phile, and I just added your architecture firm as my friend.

Mar 10, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

should be called mirespace

Mar 10, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

SuperBeatleDud, I have seen two "MySpace the Movie"s.

Mar 10, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

its called marketing

Mar 10, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The "movies" I saw just made fun of how we all use MySpace. Kind of stupid.

Mar 10, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

mdler, do you think there are serious people that want to hire architects/designers in myspace? Once again out of ignorance, and wanting to know more.

I just don't see myspace as a place with many potential clients, but I have never really looked at myspace more deply, but I am not impressed with the little I have seen.

Mar 10, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
sheri25

On www.asmallworld.net you could find some potential clients but not on my space, that site is a joke.

Mar 10, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

agree with you sheri24...at least as far as a place for potential business

myspace operates most effectively as a place for singles to meet other singles, bands to promote their music, etc

i also think myspace has jumped the shark based on the mass ingress of tacky personalities that seem to be on it now...basically it closely resembles a college meat-market bar/spring break locale these days. certainly not a place where you'll get many new architecture clients.

not trying to bash it...just making observations after having used it for the last few years and noticed the sea change. i think the people who were on the cutting edge when myspace got rolling are probably either onto (or looking for) the next thing.

just my thoughts...

Mar 10, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I get a huge kick out of it.

Although lately I have had a hard time getting onto the site. Even when my internet connection wasn't being crappy.

Mar 10, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

tell them to move to www.tribe.net myspace is evil

Mar 10, 06 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

WonderK -- I agree it's definitely fun/funny. Anything showing the best and worst of human tendencies has gotta be compelling!

After reading my post in context, it may have come across elitist, which I didn't mean. It was a great help in promoting my band while we were touring. I just don't know that people looking for architects would be on myspace (by accident or on purpose)

It certainly lost any vestige of "indie-cred" when Fox bought it however...

Mar 10, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

...that said, one more thing:

It doesn't cost anything more than a little time to set up a myspace profile, so mdler, if you get some clients out of it, that's great!

Like the lottery...the odds suck, but it's only a buck...and if you don't play, you DEFINITELY won't win.

Mar 10, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that is what i figure..free marketing. if i get a job, great. if not, i spent very little time and no $$$ doing so

also, it allows friends of mine to see my work

Mar 10, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

This has me thinking - maybe I should post my firm on amihotornot.com

Mar 10, 06 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Maybe not a bad idea...it couldn't be any more ironic than the "Hottest Female Architect" thread that was making the rounds here a few weeks ago... ;)

Mar 10, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

depending on the quality of work we do, some of us may have good luck putting our firms on www.ratemypoo.com

Mar 10, 06 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

mdler...i like yer style. That definitely inspired a guffaw and a cautious look around to make sure none of my co-workers noticed...

Mar 10, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
e909

no ratemybond or ratemycurrency?

Mar 13, 06 3:51 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

ratemypoo.com. God almighty that's funny.

Mar 13, 06 8:35 am  · 
 · 
longhorn

are there any other websites similar to http://www.asmallworld.net ???
places where businesses can post their profile, attain connections, and so on.

Mar 21, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: