Archinect
anchor

Dubai city state: architectural fanatsy and financial superpower

archiman

Following the current political (US Ports deal by Dubai Ports) and architectural (mega projects under construction) interest that Dubai has generated, I though the following links may be of interest:

A Dream of Dubai: Half fantasy, half reality, Dubai is re-writing the book on urbanism

http://www.utne.com/webwatch/2006_239/news/12025-1.html

Dubai: tourism and the end of public space
http://katodrytis.com/main/72/Gulf-first-urban-planning-and-development-conference

Mar 10, 06 3:58 am
freebornman

Just as an informal poll, how many archinecters have projects running in the UAE? We have three at my firm...

Mar 10, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 
A

Well, I can't say that at UAE projects at my firm, but several in China. Seems suddenly Dubai is the hype and China got forgotten.

Massive shopping malls, highrises and indoor ski slopes sounds a lot like Japan in the 1980's. Remember what happened to that? How about all the construction going on in Berlin right after unification? Sure, Dubai might be the architecture hot-spot right now, but give it a few years and we will all have forgotten and moved onto the next place.

Obviously Dubai is seeking a tourist interest in many of these projects. That's their choice but I would prefer to see them focus their wealth and energy on serious issues at home. Dubai has some of the worst poverty in the world, yet they also have the richest elite in the world building a Las Vegas style playground. Human rights are virtually non-existant in the mid-east and UAE is no exception. All this construction is paying very little attention to the environment. Dredging up islands in the gulf and massive high rises don't sound energy conscious to me. All that and it still isn't a safe country for a western tourist to visit, at least not by N. American or European standards.

Mar 10, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
sheri25

For Middle Eastern people Dubai is like Europe.
I think Dubai attracts more middle eastern people rather than european

Mar 11, 06 5:06 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

err.. have to disagree there sheri

Mar 12, 06 3:39 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

why???

Mar 12, 06 3:45 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

you live in Dubai?

Mar 12, 06 3:46 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

yep ...

Mar 12, 06 3:55 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

Please enlighten me, from what i know there are more middle eastern turists there than european.

Mar 12, 06 4:03 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

well there are probably more middle eastern working expatriates than western .. but the tourist industry if without doubt aimed at the west.

if you ask me .. it's all crap .. but they make it sound big !!

Mar 12, 06 4:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: