Archinect
anchor

Reserving a Web Address

liberaceisdead

I am trying to open a website and the address I am trying to lay claim to is already taken. The site is actually empty, but the address is owned (leased, whatever). Does anyone out there have any experience in what to do next? I'm pretty attached to the address I've come up with and would like to open under it, if its feasible. I assume I need to buy the rights from the current owner. Have any of you done this? Can it be done for a reasonable amount. I know this varies, but the address is a relatively unknown entity. I'd appreciate any help.

Mar 9, 06 5:25 pm
sameolddoctor

First, reserve an alternate address like xyz.net-if you actually wanted xyz.com Do this without any delay....

we use www.godaddy.net

email the holder of the actual account with your predicatment and the alternate domain you have reserved

sometimes they are nice enough and will exchange, but in most cases they will want a fee for it...

Mar 9, 06 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

how does the joke go?

Person 1: domain names are like girls, all the good ones are already taken.
Person 2: you could always get one from a foreign county...

fees are generally $50-500, depending. some rather unscrupulous people try to make money by domain squatting.

Mar 9, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

try yahoo domain
they are having promotion
only 2.99/year for maximum of 5 years if you are a new customer.

Mar 10, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

sorry, missunderstood your question

Mar 10, 06 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

My wife sold one back at the end of the domain name gold rush for $10k! I think they let it expire, but overall it was a bizarre experience, it wasn't even squatting, she had her portfolio up on the domain. I think now the $50-$500 range sounds much more appropriate.

And she did receive an email at the beginning of the negotiations. If it's owned by one of the massive squatter sites you can probably buy it pretty reasonably.

Mar 10, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
trace™
http://www.ix.net/

$25k and it's yours.

Mar 10, 06 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: