Archinect
anchor

Natures Influence on Architecture - Research help?

iMarcus

I was wondering if anyone has come across any less obvious examples of biomorphic design. I'm not talking about Calatrava's more obvious built forms resembling swans in flight etc. but more the way that Norman Fosters 30 St. Mary's Axe is influenced by Glass Sponges. Apparently these sea creatures filter nutrients from water they suck in at their base and expel from a hole at the top, just as Fosters tower circulates air.

Another example that springs to mind (although not architecture) is the organic LED which has been developed by a scientist who was intersted in the way fireflies can create light without generating heat. These OLED's are to be used in TV's about to be released which give a better image quality than LCD, and can be used in a more slender form. Imagine the fun you could have if this could be combined with a material like sarnafil

Mar 9, 06 11:54 am
zeth01

The organic LED has been used for lighting in one of Kieren Timberlakes creaations. They printed the OLEDS on to a thin film. He also used Organic PVs. Not sure which project it was. You can also get laptops which use OLEDs but I forget who makes them and the only organic architecture that comes to mind at the moment is www.tdrinc.com probably not what your looking for...

Mar 9, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
iMarcus

thanks for the pointers Zeth, both these architectsare on the same lines as I thouught this subject should develop.

Mar 10, 06 4:29 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Mar 10, 06 4:38 am  · 
 · 
gwin

Don't now whether you still checking out the thread but you should check out the "Eastgate Building" in Harare, Zimbabwe designed by Mick Pearce who graduated from the AA. It's renowned for being the first building in the world whose ventilation system mimmicks that of an African termite's mound, eliminating the need for a conventional HVAC. YOu could also check out Eugene Tsui who works out of Carlifornia. A google search using Eastgate as your keyword should reveal some results for you. Good Luck

Mar 10, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
iMarcus

Thanks Gwin, thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after, and I've discovered a new term to search for "biomimetically", I'm sure people just make these words up!

Mar 12, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

there was a bbc documentary a while ago called "bionic buildings" that looks at the exact thing you is thinking on, though mostly examining the tech aspect of things.

coolest bit of the show was study of the lotus leaf, which is covered with fine hairs that prevent water and dirt form sticking to the surface. a similarly surfaced spoon dropped thin honey like it was water, and allowed a window to shed water like...um..well, like a lotus leaf (the reason for this was to make the window self cleaning). and all completely invisible to the naked eye. lots of other examples in the show, though a bit lite. still a good start...

Mar 12, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

look at some of Frampton's examples -Studies in Tectonic Culture. The guy is interested in landscape right now. I heard a lecture "From Earthwork to Roofwork" two weeks ago while he was at school, and it was pretty interestting. Our "big" project this semester uses the premise he sets to understand the stereotomic and tectonic progression in designing. Anyhow. that might give you some insights.

Mar 13, 06 12:25 am  · 
 · 
iMarcus

Funny you should post the link to Charlie Luxton's programme jump. It was his lecture I attended 3 years ago that got me interested in this subject. I wish I'd seen the programme now. He was pushing Guerilla Homes at the time. Being BBC3 it'll hopefully be repeated.

and thanks for the pointer mjh, I'll look further into it as soon as I can.

Mar 13, 06 8:22 am  · 
 · 
NRKTecture

I may be a little off but if you really understand what Wright was doing... All of his works (some more than others) where an explorartion of the environment and its organization. While in some ways he did try to model his forms from a nature pattern the real beauty of his works are his spaces which he modeled after a nature and how we percieve it; organic, not to be confused with green or with form.

If you look into Wright, don't get caught up in form but look into his principles and you'll see the conection. Check out www.schildrotharchitect.com

Mar 13, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
job job

iMarcus, since you're in the UK(?)

http://www.smartextiles.co.uk/_elepoly.htm

George Jeronimidis. Director
also teaches at the AA; did not 'make up' biomimesis, but knows a lot about it. and it's more interesting than the zoomorphic

Mar 13, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
alex_ian

I have to mention Bucky and Frei Otto, as the basis for all...

May 5, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: