Archinect
anchor

folding interiors

kateharrison

Since the ”˜baroque', we have been confronted with the issue of ”˜folding'. Most recently, we have been provided with one particular answer, in the form of an architecture that deals with the generalized folding of ”˜skins' (typically the façade, or the exterior skin of a building). Where are the alternatives to this very specific viewpoint? It seems that, over several years, we might have come up with options, such as ”˜alternative foldings' (origami comes to mind), or ”˜alternative foci' (folding of interiors, as opposed to the current exterior-based proposals; we might remember that, in the monad of Leibniz, folding occurred primarily on the interior surfaces, which reflected the ”˜blind' exterior world). I guess that, as an interior designer, I expect more of an ”˜interiorized' answer, but this is an issue that affects all of architectural thought (after all exteriors fold into interiors).

Mar 8, 06 8:18 pm
folding

discussions have gone on here in the past. i'm always interested because, when given free hand, my work often involves a lot of what might be considered folding - though that's seldom the goal, merely a means of getting at something else.

what is it you want to discuss here?

btw, don't forget that kurt schwitters had a fairly 'interior' take on folding.

Mar 9, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 
kateharrison

Usually when a discussion of folding architecture takes place, many people consider the physical facade of the building as the folding aspect. This "skin" usually does not hold any serious functionallity other than to be a visual piece of structure. Can you transcend the concepts and building block elements behind folding from architectural to interior, to further this question how can it strive to serve as a functional piece rather than a new asthetic?

Mar 13, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

Check out Jean Prouve. Please don’t aestheticize Deleuze’s reading of Liebiniz. The stuff meant something when they wrote it and it still does to some people.

See he discussion of the difference between a fold and a chamfered corner.

What function would a “fold” have?

Have you seen D+S’s I-beam project. That’s got chamfered corners but does some interesting things with layers and viewing distances.

Mar 13, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

What function would a “fold” have?

Have you seen D+S’s I-beam project. That’s got chamfered corners but does some interesting things with layers and viewing distances.

Mar 13, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

sorry I ment to paste:

Oh, another good on is Virilio’s “function of the oblique” again, about the oblique condition rather than “folded plate” formalism

Mar 13, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: