Archinect
anchor

What do you think of "Boutique Hotels"

sheri25

Hi everyone, I am working on a project designing a boutique hotel. Just wanted to get some input of what you guys thinks of these smaller hotels.

Mar 8, 06 2:26 am
A Center for Ants?

i've stayed at a few. some are gimmicky and cheap. others are nicely done and have taken the time to create something unique that usually isn't expensive.

in the bad examples i've stayed at, seemed quite evident that things got VE'ed. it's the ikea effect. you get something with a good overall design intent but poor in construction/execution.

Mar 8, 06 2:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I find it hard to say: "boutique hotel" Say it 5 times fast. Not easy is it?

Mar 8, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

what really is a "botique hotel?"

is THIS?

Mar 8, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

i thought a boutique hotel was the opposite of a "brand name" hotel. like an indie hotel, not part of a chain.

Mar 8, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

can be a chain. usually a hotel of under a 100 rooms and with a specialty (decor, theme, hybrid purpose, etc.).

one is just about to open here in louisville that is hotel/museum. will have galleries of contemporary art in addition to the 90-ish rooms. and a hip bar/restaurant. very slick modern, designed by deborah berke.

Mar 8, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've stayed in about half a dozen boutique hotels. In my mind what makes them successful is staff. Which is not something the designer can control unless they are more closely involved with the owner than is typical in an architecture/client relationship.

I stayed at Aleph in Rome designed by Adam Tihany. The design was stunning and sexy. But the staff was snotty and the cappuccinos were $30. I would not stay there again.

On the other hand, the Hotel San Jose in Austin is my favorite in the world. The design is Lake/Flato (right?) and it is perfect, plus the staff is warm and helpful and deliciously cute. It would be worth it to me to seek out jobs in Austin just so I could stay there once again.

Steven, Deborah Burke also did one in Scottsdale AZ that looks cool in print, I plan to go see it next week as a matter of fact. That was a reworking of a former chain hotel and done on a shoestring, but looks quite successful. Of course I'll have to see what the staff is like.

Mar 8, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™
South Beach Baby

Mar 8, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
some person
Kimpton Hotels

has some very nice offerings that respond to their respective local setting.

My favorite is the Hotel Burnham - in the restored Reliance Building in Downtown Chicago. *drool* We have the coffee-table-book on our coffee table.

Mar 8, 06 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
e909

character, even deliberate, is fine, imo

Mar 13, 06 4:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: