Archinect
anchor

The City College of NY

strugs

I just noticed that the City College of NY offers a M. Arch I degree. I know that they've offered a B.Arch for some time, but it appears that the M.Arch is a new program.

I know that CCNY has a pretty nice campus and some noted alumni for a public school, but I don't know much about their architecture program. They seem to have soom good faculty (including Sorkin in Urb. Design), and the program would definitely be extremely affordable for someone living in NYC. Does anyone know anything about it? Also, I'm not sure whether the M.Arch program is accredited -- does it seem a given that they will be? what would that mean for someone entering an unaccredited program now?

Mar 7, 06 10:56 am
strugs

Oh, and here's a link to their website, in case anyone is interested (it's a bit of a pain, but not anymore than most over-designed arch school websites):
CCNY

(...and, of course, it doesn't seem like they mention anywhere on the site anything abuot the accreditation for the M.Arch school...)

Mar 7, 06 11:00 am  · 
 · 
oldirty

I have a friend who goes there and I have been there a few times and it seems like a good program-it's really small right now, probably because it just getting started, but I think that the size is a good thing. Andrew Zago is the dean and he used to work for Morphosis and has connections-he drew those Sixth Street House drawings I think. And the dirty secret of all schools in NYC is that is doesnt matter where you go, you will pretty much have the same teachers-they just seem to rotate among schools-I have seen a lot of Columbia, Parsons, etc. teachers in the halls at CCNY. I think the facilities may leave something to be desired and technology may be a weak spot for now, but that could change. I don't know anything about the accreditation situation, but if they are able to maintain a B.Arch for this long, I doubt it will be a problem.

Mar 7, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The NAAB website only mentions the B.Arch. program, but doesn't make any mention of the M.Arch. Even if the M.Arch. program was a candidate for accreditation, NAAB would typically indicate such. But then, NAAB's website may be out of date.

I considered finishing my B.Arch. degree at CCNY and it seemed like a good option, but the cost of living in NYC was the big drawback for me.

Mar 7, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
oldirty

The neghborhood around CCNY (Hamilton Heights) and points north (Washington Heights, Inwood) is as cheap as it's going to get for you in Manhattan, so if that's too expensive...my advice is just suck it up-there are places around there were you can pay $500-650 for a nice big room and the streets there can be really beautiful.

Mar 7, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I lived in Inwood. $970 a month for a cramped shithole of an apartment with Dominican gangbangers hanging around outside my door all day and night convinced me that my money would be better spent elsewhere. I moved from NYC to Oregon over a year ago, and then back home to Chicago a little while later.

Mar 7, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Well -- if you are only paying $2k - $3k a semester for tuition, you could probably afford to live anywhere you want in the City (compared to what you would be paying for tuition at other NYC schools)...

What would it mean to have a degree from a school that isn't accredited? Would you not be able to get certified? Is it possible that they wouldn't get accredited (in other words, is it difficult or just a formality)?

oldirty -- you are def. right about the facilities/technology. The software and hardware list left a little to be desired. You are right about faculty though -- it does seem like a lot of the NYC schools share faculty...does your friend that goes there seem happy with the program?

Mar 7, 06 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

Yeah, he's very happy there.

And if you are paying close to $1000 a month in *Inwood*, you aren't looking hard enough or you need to get a roommate-the most I have ever paid for a place in NYC is $670 and they are the largest rooms I have ever had in my life.

Mar 7, 06 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I had a one-bedroom apartment. I had a decent-paying job at the time, so it wasn't a question of affordability, just a matter of what I was willing to put up with in terms of quality of life.

Mar 7, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

they are in the process of accredidation. i applied this winter and am waiting to hear back. their website hasn't ben updated in a long time. the link to the pdf application is broken, but they were nice enough to send me one in the mail. if i get in i'm going to have to take a serious tour of the facilities and work hard to find out more about the program.

Mar 7, 06 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Do all the people who graduate before accreditation just wait in limbo until the NAAB makes its decision? And if one starts (and possibly finishes) a program before it receives accreditation, does that matter if it eventually receives accreditation?

Mar 7, 06 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

wow, they finally updated the website... the old one looked like it belonged to a nine inch nails cover band.

Mar 7, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Regarding accreditation, there's a similar thread somewhere back in the Archinect ether about Cornell's new M.Arch. program that discusses those issues, and has some helpful info.

Mar 7, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: