Archinect
anchor

What do I tell my Boss?

nltrwam

Alright Archinecters. I have worked for the past 1.5 years with a tight team in a satelite office of a large corporate firm. We recently lost a project and the team is overstaffed. My Boss whom I trust and have a good relationship with has asked me what my ideal situation would be, either remain at the satelite office or return to the home base. My wife and I have already been planning leaving the satelite location. We are torn between returning to the homebase and returning to where we grew up. The company does not have an office where we grew up. I have even had a job interview already with another company where we grew up. Obviously we have some choices to make, but my boss has asked me what my ideal situation would be to remain at the satelite office or return to the homebase. How much do I tell him? I can post more info if necessary.

Mar 7, 06 8:08 am
brian buchalski

you have to make a break for the homebase. first, pretend to be uninterested and maybe even loaf a little bit...you need to do a good job of acting to sell this. then (and this is the key) focus on the catcher and not the pitcher...it's the catcher who needs to make the tag and he is the one that you need to catch off-guard. watch carefully, and when he wanders a step or two out of position and them removes his mask to wipe his brow**shazam**that's when you make your break. with any luck you'll have successfully gained the home base and will soon be high-5ing teammates.

Mar 7, 06 8:32 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Suggest a new satellite office in the location you want to live - and you will be director.

Stranger things have happened (to me).

Mar 7, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
mouse

Your problem isn't actually what to tell your boss, it's to make your own mind up. He's given you choices over which he has control but you're introducing a further option which isn't within his power to give you. Decide what you want to do, then tell him the truth.

Mar 7, 06 11:03 am  · 
 · 

the truth? my gawd!

smart observation, m. mouse.

Mar 7, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 

^^good stuff, that. If you need to buy yourself a little bit of time, tell him that you're interested in the home base option but need a little bit to get the wife on board with it before you can be sure. Then make up your mind, and either tell him you convinced her, or that you two decided that if a move is in order, you'd rather go back to your old hometown, thanks for the memories.

Mar 7, 06 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
ret

you obviously did'nt grow up in texas!
sorry.

Mar 7, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
digger

as an employer myself, I much prefer the truth ... it makes my staff planning much easier, even when we'd rather have you leave

look, we know that people have personal agendas that may not mesh with our company plans ... we'd much rather work out a gradual, orderly disengagement with you over a mutually acceptable time period than have you pop into the office one Monday, delivering your two-week notice.

just be professional ... that's never a bad strategy

Mar 7, 06 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Tell him your pregnate....or tell him the truth. What has the work force of America come to?

Mar 7, 06 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

have the balls to do what feels right, thrust that visceral feeling

Mar 7, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
nltrwam

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Mar 7, 06 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
nltrwam

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Mar 7, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
nltrwam

Our father, who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen.

· 
nltrwam

Our father, who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen.

· 
nltrwam

Thanks to the "Bosses" who posted. I meant to target your audience. Puddles - high 5, I'll see you at the ballpark.

Almost forgot one

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Mar 7, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
dia

WTF?!?

Mar 7, 06 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

i second that diabase

Mar 7, 06 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

He is repenting.

Catholic boys...

Mar 7, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Two Our Fathers, three Hail Mary's, can we get a Flutie in here?

Mar 7, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
dia

OK, dont see the need for a public repentance, but.... Rationalist, make that 4 Hail Mary's.

Mar 7, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Tell him, not me. I don't hail Mary.

Mar 7, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Oh, I thought it was a cocktail...

Mar 7, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I wanted one.

Mar 7, 06 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Really? doesn't sound very tasty to me...

http://www.dinkydrinks.co.uk/cocktails_mixed_drinks/hail_mary.php

Mar 7, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yeah forget that - dont know much, I'm a cocktail Virgin.

Mar 7, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Flutie? Doug Flutie....

Does anyone remember Flutie Flakes?! I think like 60% of sales went to an orphanage in Buffalo or something...

When did we grow out of eating cereal...I love that stuff!

Mar 8, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

yes, the same. I'd rather hail Flutie than Mary.

Mar 8, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

LOL!

Mar 8, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: