Archinect
anchor

Creative ways to spend your free time

swisscardlite

I'm a senior in High school afflicted with senioritis. I will be majoring in architecture in the coming fall so I know I will be very busy. But as for now, I have a lot of free time and I want to make the best out of it.

what are creative ways to spend your free time?

Mar 7, 06 12:50 am
meta

sketch sketch skecth
some craft work like pottery,.. ?
creative writing

Mar 7, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
softcell

go skateboarding,get drunk and fuck my girlfriend........................

Mar 7, 06 4:15 am  · 
 · 
wood_

hey justin - I'm in the same boat though I just got done with undergrad months ago. When I'm not working, I'm usually reading up on architecture at a bookstore or spending time here to learn more about the profession. I've been paranoid with my time as I wait to start grad school. Recently, I haven't been really inspired to paint, draw, etc.

Mar 7, 06 4:24 am  · 
 · 
Kentique

for a rockstar freetime

get a guitar, put stickers on guitar, paint the guitar, break the guitar, work and buy a new guitar...

Mar 7, 06 4:59 am  · 
 · 
Norman Blogster

If you have to ask, maybe you should consider a career in law instead?

Mar 7, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

alright softcell, send me her picture and a number to get ahold of her

hehe

Mar 7, 06 8:30 am  · 
 · 

maybe not creative, but travel is always cool. especially places that scare the piss out of you cuz they are seriously unknown (like, for instance, nepal).

Mar 7, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
mouse

where do you live? you'd be surprised how little you might know your own city (that is, if you live in a city). Walk, walk, walk around it, places you've never been before; sketch if you want, or take photographs, but most of all LOOK.

Mar 7, 06 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

enjoy it. if you're accepted to a school already do high schooler stuff. you'll never get another chance. get drunk. party. meet girls. have fun.

i didn't do enough of that in HS.

Mar 7, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Archinect? Oh wait. Creative...

Mar 7, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Build a bike. Buy a vintage frame off ebay and strip that biiiiach. Add a new bottom bracket, wheelset, drops and cranks... Name it something clever and run some alley cat races. Then develop a serious knee conditions and get an MRI - shortly after, begin physical therapy and start the process over again.

Good trainers cost about $300.

Or, learn to draw. Well.

Mar 7, 06 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

running in alley cats will do that to ya... its those damn skid competitions

Mar 7, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I recommend PT to anyone who needs to fill spare time. In fact, I recommend PT to anyone who wants to interrupt work time as well.

Mar 7, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Get a job as a bicycle messenger.

Mar 7, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

amass and become familiar with a collection of DVDs (burned or purchased legally) so you can have some variety when you ask a girl in college if she wants to "go back to my dorm and watch a movie?"

Mar 7, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Take part in an archinect post-off. Right, ACFA?!?

Mar 7, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

wow I fell for that trick in college; it works well to say the least.

Mar 7, 06 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

it's not a trick. you knew full well what you were getting yourself into. polite society just demands we don't ask "hey, wanna go and hookup?"

Mar 7, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

Garpike -- by PT, do you mean ProTools? ;)

Mar 7, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

eh I'm generally up to do anything with anyone; never really crossed my mind at the time.

Mar 7, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

do some 3D jigsaws

Mar 9, 06 4:42 am  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

Free time? Sometimes i like to try to get 8 hours of sleep if i have free time. if i ever get some i'll tell you what i did with it.

Mar 9, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

yes, as you can see architectes aren't really the people to ask about free time. in fact not knowing what to do with your free time (or being affraid of what you might do with it) is a good reason to get into the life.

think of all the alley cats saved by keeping that monster busy doing red-lines and off the street.

Mar 9, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

I can’t imaging seating around wondering what to do with my time, between holding crazy deadline, studying for exams and having a somewhat deprived family life. I have my night a week when a get to blow some steam on a soccer field, started several canvases for a show in December and continue to practice Bach’s chaconne, hoping to sound remotely like the master Segovia. Plus I enjoy cooking some good northern Italian gnocchi for friends on the weekend over a glass of vine preferably a vintage from “el cajon del diablo”…. Need more time.
Quella è la mia vita

Mar 9, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

When Im a big time fame whore Im going to spend my free time after winning the Pritzker in condo filled with with hundreds of air mattresses, a bunch of Bolivian nose soldiers, and super friendly sweedish girls who just want to have fun.

Mar 9, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Alana

... You're going to be a pretty lame architect if you have to ask what to do with yourself while still in highschool!

Mar 10, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

start by taking off your pants...unless you are already not wearing pants, in that case, then i'd suggest putting some pants on.

Mar 10, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

...not knowing what to do with your free time in your senior year in high school doesn't necessarily translate to becoming a lame architect in the future...

Mar 10, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
grid

get drunk in mexico

Mar 10, 06 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

attend a Summer academy in architecture - there might be one at the college you wondered about but decided not to apply to

Mar 10, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Alana

dammson. perhaps, but I think creativity is important, and not knowing what to do in your spare time while young is seriously lacking creativity. Go sleep, watch TV, smoke a joint, watch the clouds go by, and enjoy not having to do anything while you can...

Oh and Read Read Read Read Read.

Mar 10, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

basket weave; save lives...

super mario snes on my computer to kill time

Mar 10, 06 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lighten up Alana. I usually refrain from directed, personal comments, but your negativity is not called for, literally.

Mar 11, 06 12:08 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i have a lot of stuff to do like scholarships but i just want to make the best of my time while i'm here at high school. And plus, i'm trying to chill as much as i can right now because I know architecture will be killer so I'm trying to enjoy my last seconds of free time in my life. but of course, i absolutely cannot wait to learn more about architecture (i attended the cornell summer program last summer and loved it)

Mar 11, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

did you get accepted to cornell?
dude you think you can explain your gpa sat, act, xtra curricular stuff.
i really want to go to cornell but i don't know what the architecture student level is like.
wait, colleges acceptance letters usually come in april...or not ahhh oh well i just post this

Mar 12, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

ak_asian89....are you a senior in hs? cause if you are it's a little too late to apply to cornell

yes i did get accepted into cornell. gpa, sat, ext curricular are important but they're not as important as the portfolio/dedication/talent. as long as your gpa/grades are good then don't worry about it. extra curricular isn't that important. you need to have a really good portfolio and show that you are very creative. You also need to show that you're dedicated into this field.

and also..choose cornell not because it has high rankings and it is an ivy league, but because you know that the school will fit you.

like all arch students, cornell students work very hard. i don't know what you mean by arch student level...arch students are always under a lot of stress. in cornell, the work is very top notch..they have their own unique style of teaching.

Mar 12, 06 4:00 am  · 
 · 
ak_asian89

wow thats great you're accepted in cornell
as for me, im a junior, and i recently realized that architecture is what i want to do. i always had been thinking of being an engineer but decided not to. umm so i started art last semester and all i have been taking is math and science. doing music but don't know if it'll help:(
i'm thinking about taking art classes so i can get into ap art, but really is your portfolio the main factor?

Mar 12, 06 4:21 am  · 
 · 
wood_

I used my high school work to get me into a grad program; no art courses in undergrad other than my sketchbook I did during my free time. I took two AP art courses which was what saved me =X

Mar 12, 06 4:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: