Archinect
anchor

Wash U in St. Louis

MArch n' unemployed

just heard i got in. anyone else apply and hear yet? and does anyone have any opinions of the school? i mean its a top 10 undergrad school, but i've heard mixed things about the MArch program. anyone here a student there already?

thanks in advance and good luck to everyone as april 1 approaches!

Mar 6, 06 6:31 pm
RankStranger

I went there a while ago for undergrad. I hear it's come leaps and bounds since then. Then it was very theory, very schematic, very little constructability (none infact), or the typical real world stuff. When I first got out of school I was a little pissed that I learned what a wall section was in my last semester and only because our visiting professor from Argentina (who was excellent by the way) was so dumbfounded that we didn't really know what he was talking about. Now, I'm kind of happy it was the way it was. I had all the time in the world to learn that stuff after I graduated while getting paid for it. I'm sure the MArch (especially now) is much different. A new facility of combined Art & Architecture programs designed by Fuhimito (sp?) Maki should be ready for moving in for next fall as well. And actually, I'm heading to see Ben Van Berkel speak there right now. Any of that help?

Mar 6, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

it did, thanks. when you say awhile what's that? i know a few people who graduated in 2000...after that?

may i also ask, are you living in st. louis currently? do you find that living/working there is enjoyable/challenging?

thanks for the info

Mar 6, 06 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

dude!
i just got my letter.... i wish i had some information to share with you, i mostly just have the same questions. i'll keep checking on this thread

Mar 6, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Shellaby

I just received an acceptance letter today too - how exciting! I've only heard great things about this school's Masters program.

Mar 6, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
AP

congrats to both of you.

earlier today I heard - 2nd hand - that a very talented friend from undergrad got accepted there as well...

I'm also interested in finding out more about the program...I will be applying for MArch 1 next year, and after a bit of research, WashU is on my shortlist...which at 10 schools, still isn't very short...

Mar 6, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

both + Shellaby

Mar 6, 06 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
RAArch

not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is anyone alarmed or at least puzzled that the application deadline was feb 8th [is that right?] and i was emailed about my decision on march 4th....less than a month to deliberate? i don't know what to make of that

Mar 6, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

congrats colcol and shellaby!

so shellaby what kind of great things have you heard, can you elaborate?

Mar 6, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

ap, i applied to 9 (nine) schools, nine isn't that much more work than 2 or 3. they did get those letters out quickly, mine had a two incomplete sentences. i really want to get a better sense of the program, has anyone seen any current-student blogs?

Mar 6, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I went there for the open house when I applied. They have a lot of physical resources and the faculty seemed very dedicated to teaching. There didn't seem to be any hot shots on faculty, but the lecture series is almost the same as Penn's (in some cases they get more people that I'm interested in hearing). Plus, most hotshots can't teach anyway. Obviously I didn't attend, but it was a tough choice. I sent my $500 acceptance to Penn but wasn't sure if I was going. I just wanted to hold my spot because I had an extra 15 days to decide on Wash U. I wasn't so impressed with St. Louis. It's nice around the campus, but didn't seem too exciting. BUt I'm also not that impressed with the shooting in West Philly 3 blocks from my apt or the numerous muggings on campus. If they have the open house, go. I think for most it's just a plane ticket and then everything else is free. Totally worth it. If nothing else, its a great vacation and they give you the hard sell. They show you a good time and I think it will help you decide. I think I would have been happy there too (maybe more so than where I am?).

Mar 7, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I graduated in 1997. Last night at the BVB lecture, they also had up a NAAB Accredidation student exhibition and I was thoroughly impressed. Really incredible work. I started the same year Cynthia Weese started as dean. Seeing the quality of the program now, and I guess the steady climb in rankings over that period, must be a testament to what she did for it. She just left (or is leaving this year) but I don't know who the new dean is. But with the quality of work I saw and having a nothing-short-of-state-of-the-art new facility, I would think it would be an excellent place. I know I wouldn't have traded it for anything when I went, but that was undergrad.

Now for the other side: Saint Louis sucks. It didn't really matter for me as an undergrad because I didn't have a car and lived on campus. For graduate school, it would be more of a factor. There is a huge revival going on downtown, but it still is kind of limping along. I could get into more, but I don’t really feel like publicly bashing St. Louis, which seems to be trying (sometimes). And I don’t want the school to suffer because of the city. One driving factor for me to go there was the amount of money they gave me. Graduate school may be different, but they almost gave me a full ride worth of need based financial aid. Apparently they have the second largest endowment next to Harvard and, at least in my case, like to dish it out. Also in response to Hasselhoff, St. Louis does suck but WashU atleast is in a very good location. Pretty good neighborhoods all around and it's located, in New York terms, across the street from Central Park (Forest Park is the 2nd largest park in the country).

Mar 7, 06 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
kix

Carmon Colangelo is the new dean of the design & visual art, which includes the college of architecture. I know him from UGA's college of art and Wash U is very lucky to have him. It will be great to see what he does with Wash U's program after seeing him completely revamp and turn UGA's program into a progressive and respected art school. For what its worth, I think his daughter is working toward her BArch at Rice.

Mar 7, 06 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: