Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Format - digital or analog?

janellemoo

I am applying for summer jobs and wondered if those practicing could give me an idea about portfolio submissions -

Do firms generally want portfolios submitted digitally, say on a CD? Or are analog portfolios preferred?

[I am curious not about smaller, digital work samples, but more specifically when firms want to see work beyond a small digital sampling.]

Mar 6, 06 10:31 am
chupacabra

print.

Mar 6, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

my suggestion would be an email version that has a
hyperlink to an easily openable/downloadable pdf. or
a pdf that can be included in an email. when looking
for a job not too long ago, many firms were asking for
info to be sent via email and my current firm prefers all
info to be in a single email so that they can take emails
and organize them that way without having to file them
as a hardcopy. that way when we want a print version we
can print them out as we hire..and it's easy to respond
to the email without having to look up the email address,
type it in etc. the less work the employer has to do the
better your chances imo.

Mar 6, 06 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
archtheque

I was a "re-starter" into arch profession about a year ago...My previous experience doing a portfolio was a combination of 3 items, that's if you'd like to invest a bit of time in order to impress your prospective employers.
>I had a few HARDCOPIES booklet that I only send out to high profile firms out there (since they cost money to print!);
> And then, I have those hardopies converted to pdf format in a cd send out to mid-profile firms;
>Last but not least, I have a dual purpose resume, which also contained a few highlighted projects on a back page of my resume

Mar 6, 06 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
archtheque

I was a "re-starter" into arch profession about a year ago...My previous experience doing a portfolio was a combination of 3 items, that's if you'd like to invest a bit of time in order to impress your prospective employers.

>I had a few HARDCOPIES booklet that I only send out to high profile firms out there (since they cost money to print!) AND keep a copy you can bring along during interview;
> And then, I have those hardopies converted to pdf format in a cd send out to mid-profile firms;
>Last but not least, I have a dual purpose resume, which also contained a few highlighted projects on a back page of my resume folded into a accordian-like brochure.

^Strategize your plan. Either a combo of 1&3 or 2&3

*All the firms that I've interviewed offered me a job right-on-the-spot! One interview lasted barely 5min!

Mar 6, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ah analog you poor bastard.

Send a printed portfolio as opposed to a digital one.

Mar 6, 06 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My method:

I have a digital portfolio in the form of a website, and I always include the URL in my resume and cover letter. If the recipeint is so inclined, all my projects are just a few keystrokes away, but they're not being forced to handle and file CD-ROMs.

I also have a nicely-formatted hard copy that gives me something physical to refer to during an interview. Digital stuff is nice, but it's no substitute for having a hard copy right in front of you at a face-to-face meeting.

In addition to the portfolio during interviews, I also make sure to have a half-size set of construction documents for a recent project that I had a major role in putting together.

Mar 6, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

LIG has a good rounded method.

A website is way more appropriate than a digital PDF. This is because a well designed website should interact and display in a method and style that's different than a physical booklet. A website is full of a different navigational method, and it should illustrate your work in different ways.

Look at firm's themselves. Most express themselves digitaly as well as physicaly (graphic work that is). You don't ever see firms take their corporate pamphlet and paste the exact thing on a website (except for the bad ones). You can use a different style and design that will display your work just as prominently on a webpage as you would on a physical page. Also you can often put more work on a webpage and allow someone to pick and choose what they would like to see much easier. (Keep in mind there are still limits on how much to display).

Also, if there are several prospective individuals for the position, the one with the well designed physical portfolio is always going to stick out over the one with the CD of their PDF portfolio version. However a well designed website will compete rather well. Also keep in mind a employer might find your knowledge in designing a website to be a sign that you are more familiar with current technology and therefore a valuable assest.

Don't know HTML or Flash..don't want to buy a domain? Well you can still do a digital CD, but make it interactive or something other than just a PDF version of your physical work.

What I like to do now is send a chaser portfolio. This is a small sample, one or two images of each project with a description. The 'chaser' references my website and states several times to visit to see my full work. This way when a employer has several portfolio's stacked , you are in there with all of them and they don't forget about you, but when they arrive to yours they then proceed to go online(or to your CD). They are cheaper to make and send this way.

It really comes down to your strengths and the desires of your prospective employer. If you are better with making a physical graphic representation, then do such. If you are better at making digital graphics, then use a CD or website. Obviously if you do a better job at making a physical booklet but are mediocre at website design, then focus on the booklet! The employer that is most appropriate for YOU will hire you based on what are your strengths (i.e. if the firm wants physical skills but you are better at digital skills, then maybe it's not a firm you should be at anyways).

Mar 6, 06 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

Well, I know our firm junks any email that comes our way. We'll except hard copy only. Also I've heard complaints from those that do hiring, that whenever a CD is sent they never have the right plugins to run. One of the intern coordinators here told me flat out he refused to install any plugin that wasn't already on his comp. And I know from experience firms rarely take the time or risk to place a portfolio cd into there computer. You also need to remember that the bit rate needs to be spot on in order to get a good smooth performance out of your flash/animation. My recommendation would be to send a hard copy, (this way your controlling exactly how they will view it, no color issues via monitors, or sizing via resolution, what you print is what they get) and have a website that focuses on usability, (i.e. make sure the old guy doing hiring at your 'young' firm can see your webiste, make it 800x600 compatible don't require a lot of technical knowledge to view you site)
I can tell you that having a nice-looking website, even one devoid of much content, can help your chances immensely. The other advantage to a website, is the ability to display everything and not worry about bandwidth (remember a huge pdf is going to have some issues in alot of email inboxes) that way visitors can access what they want to see, as you've chosen to present it to them.

SuperBeatledud- I took the same 'chaser' approach using a smaller teaser portfolio that was heavy on showing just glimpses of projects and that had a reference to my website on every page. Worked very, very well, my hits from the cities that I was sending those out to skyrocketed.

Mar 7, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

yeah i got burned by all the print-philic advice applying to internships. i only formatted mine for print, and after I sent them all out, a number of places, including fxfowle, requested digital (to persue while they waited 2 days on the print copy or something). i made the first-timers mistake of never having formatted for digital, so I sent out my print pdf, bleed and crop marks and all. ha. turned out they liked it like that, though.

Mar 7, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
digger

look ... I'm a harried managing principal ... I get 15-20 employment inquiries every damn day, this time of year ... I want to quickly separate the wheat from the chaff ... I really do want to give all candidates a fair shake, but quite frankly, you're not the center of my universe

this is what I find helpful, in order of importance:
a) a good, clean digital resume, delivered in PDF format by e-mail
b) a good, clean color mini-portfolio, delivered in PDF format by e-mail
c) URL to a fast website portfolio ... I won't spend any time at a slow site

it's very important to me that I can circulate your credentials via e-mail to my collegues in the studio ... I don't want to deal with paper until I'm sure we have an interest in your candidacy

after reviewing at least 2 of the items listed above , if we're interested in knowing more about you, we'll ask for a phone interview (if you're not in our city) or we'll invite you in for an interview (if you're local) -- then, and only then, is a high quality printed portfolio of interest to us

things I don't want:
a) an e-mail with 15 jpeg attachments
b) attachments with funky fonts that aren't loaded on my computer
c) attachments in a file format that won't open in Word or Acrobat
d) phone calls from you, confirming delivery of your e-mail
e) unsolicited printed portfolios that I must protect and mail back

make an effort to work with these conditions, you'll have a shot; make my life more difficult than it already is and I'll drop you like a stone.

this is the real world

Mar 7, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ditto what SuperBeatledud, digger, et al have said.

Regarding the website, be sure to keep it clean, simple, fast, and easy to navigate. Architects and architecture students seem to have a chronic habit of over-designing websites in order to show off their oh-so-fancy website design skills, but often end up with visually interesting but completely useless heaps of Flash-animated garbage that takes forever to load and are impossible to navigate. (Architecture schools seem particularly bad at this.)

One of my major pet peeves is when I'm in a rush and trying to get a quick piece of information -- say, like a firm's fax number -- and I have to sit there and wait while the damn site takes forever to load up, forces me to sit through some silly animation showing how wonderful the firm is, and then makes it impossible for me to find what I'm looking for.

I'd much rather have a clean, basic HTML site that is all about the content and not a showcase of the website itself.

Mar 7, 06 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

To expand on LIG and counter-argue, don't feel compelled to only go with HTML. My current site is HTML, but I'm going to convert it all to Flash. You can always offer two versions, but more work.

What IS essential though, is making it simple and quick. You can have some fancier things occur when they get to your school or prof. work, but make it quick incase they just want to get to your written resume or contact info. Be cautious of websites or programs not working properly in different browses, operating systems, or resolutions. Do different test from different friend's and co-worker's machines to make sure. Don't just try with safari, firefox, and IE all from only your computer.

And if they don't have a flash plugin on their browser, fuck'em. Don't work for someone who can't keep with the time ;-) . Ofcourse if you do care, you can always make a link that directs them to the free download.

Mar 8, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
babs

i think digger has it about right, although he may be a little strident in his views --- guess he has a stressful job

speedyj - my main view is this -- keep it simple -- think about what a busy HR person has time to deal with -- tee up your information in an easy-to-use / easy-to-view manner -- don't make them work at figuring out what you're all about

you ask about submitting a CD - probably 1 in 100 candidates will do that at our firm -- every time they do, i find it difficult. while you can cram a lot of your stuff on a CD, i don't think it's as effective as initially submitting a 4-5 page PDF digital mini-portfolio of your best work -- CDs just take too much of my time and they're often unfocused -- leave that stuff for the interview and your presentation portfolio

Mar 10, 06 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: