Archinect
anchor

roof garden

bora

I am looking for some roof top garden details and manufacturers that anybody had dealt before.

Mar 5, 06 4:17 pm
garpike

Oooo! Me too!

Mar 5, 06 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

Do you mean an actual garden or simply a planted roof?

There are plenty of manufacturers of extensive green roof systems. In the UK I have come across Blackdown Horticultural (who research and develop green roofs, including their 'Nature Mat') and Corus Kalzip 'Nature Roof' System (this was developed by Blackdowns and is a general purpose extensive green roof system on a standing seam aluminium system). They both show green roofs on their websites. And I think Corus have a downloadable .pdf brochure.

Zinco have details of both extensive (green roof) and intensive (roof garden) types on their website:

www.zinco.de/systemtechnik/index.php

If you are in the States, there is a comprehensive guide by the WBDG at:

www.wbdg.org/design/greenroofs.php

Does that help?

Mar 5, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

bora,
search for 'earth homes'.
here is a link that is worth reading and clicking in for some practical and know how info. link
i think, this is type of info you are looking for after seeing your project.
'roof garden' is relatively different.

Mar 5, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make sure your roof is designed to take the load...

Mar 5, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

great links lekizz. thank you.

Mar 5, 06 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
bora

These are great sources , Thank you.
I have another issue that I would like to share.This project will take place in Turkey and I will manage the project overseas maybe having one time chance to visit the site.There are not many green roof manufacturers in Turkey so either I have to ship the system from the states which cost a fortune or I will have to come up with some new idea which meets the requirements.
I will more look in to the websites.Thanks.

Mar 5, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

There will be contractors closer than the States :)

I have come across a reference to a Greek company, Green Hellas, who have applied green roofing to the climate of Greece. Doing a quick 'google' I could only find a site entirely in Greek.

Of course the climate is considerably drier and hotter around the Mediterranean. You may have problems with water, or the lack of, depneding on the climate of your site. Remember that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon has to devise highly complex irrigation systems to keep their plants verdant and beautiful ;)

Mar 6, 06 4:43 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

hydrotech: http://www.hydrotechusa.com/gr_home.htm

Mar 6, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
bora

I didn't know about the irrigation complexies In Babylon.But ofcourse yes..

This is going to be a big challenge for me at this point.Having my first project overseas.I keep that in mind all the time one issue is to drain the all system well enough that it won't cause any affects in the future and engineer the roof and the retaining wall strong enought since Turkey has sudden climate changes and is in earthquake zone.

You are absolutely right lekizz about the weather gets really hot & humid during summer in the Mediterranian.Eventhough your exterior doors are open to your patio or garden , you usually can't sleep in the night because of the heat.

I would like to have that greek website info.I have friends in Greece that i can have them translate for me it is needed.

Mar 6, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Navar

Ken Smith is rad - check

Mar 7, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: