Archinect
anchor

is it just me or......

Queen Monkey

....is it extremely easy to foget how to design? Or even use your brain critically for that matter....
I've only been working for 2 1/2 years staight after my diploma - as a cad monkey, of course! - and now that I have the chance to design something myself (for some relatives), I find it difficult to even begin sketching!....I'm almost intimidated by the fact that I have to DESIGN something!!!
It is so easy to just let yourself go when you are doing a 9-5 job in a average but lange practice....

Mar 5, 06 5:57 am

maybe, if you're doing it right, it should always be like the first time?

i love the learning curve that comes with each project. if it's too comfortable, i'm obviously treading water.

Mar 5, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 
snooker

miis v....Something to get you going a Quote From Bruce Goff:

The real architects are the young ones, regardless of age, with continuing enthusiasm, imagination, industry, inventiveness, curiosity and dedication to architecture for all people as their reason for being ... By such examples we continue to renew faith in the creative spirit and its potentials."

Mar 5, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 

thanks for that one, snooker. i like it.

Mar 5, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

The biggest thing to remember is that you are going to have a long career ahead of you. The first couple of projects I had on my own, I had a tendency to try to pack all sorts of design ideas into one project as if it was the only project that I would ever do. I still have to restrain that feeling when I do a competition. So, relax and go through an iterative process in which you design 20 schemes that absolutely suck in order to figure out what will not work.

Good luck.

Mar 5, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 

very true, tyvek. in my old office that was referred to as 'spilling the architecture jar' on the project.

Mar 5, 06 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

There's nothing that I enjoy more about design than going through numerous iterations during the early stages of the process. I guess I like to "spill my jar" every time...especially when work is collaborative...others can often see something valid/worthwhile in a step/sketch that I would have otherwise discarded...

miss V, as far as keeping it alive while in the working environment that you described...

I recently took my first typical architecture position, at a corporate firm. The projects aren't exactly "commodity jobs" but they aren't exhilirating either. Fortunately, each has potential (although it often goes untapped). I make it a habit to take a personal tangent, once or twice a week, with any given project that we're working on. It keeps me interested, and has proven fruitful on one occassion. You owe it to yourself, and hopefully, your employer would understand. In some instances I do it on the clock....if I really want to get into something, I take it home.

Mar 5, 06 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: