Archinect
anchor

Best firm in Vancouver/Toronto to work for as a junior designer?

gentle puppies

I'm finishing up my M.Arch degree and have had 3 years of work experience...  Some of my old firms already started contacting me about coming back, but I don't want to sell myself short.  Evidently I'm also really picky about location... so what's the best firm in either city to work in?

Jan 16, 12 5:00 am
domestico

As you may already know from your previous job searches, you're going to have to send out dozens of cvs to get an interview, because you never know when firms are looking, and the one firm you do want to work for probably is not looking.  

visit here for job postings in Toronto.  your ideal firm will never post here because they're always getting job inquiries.   

http://www.oaa.on.ca/professional+resources/classifieds/employment+opportunities

go here to research toronto firms.

http://www.oaa.on.ca/discover+an+architect

Iike everyone, you're probably seeking out:

Hariri Pontarini Architects

Montgomery Sisam

Diamond + Schmitt

KPMB

Teeple

Jan 16, 12 11:47 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I am just curious but what does it take for a U.S. Citizen to work in Canada? 

Jan 16, 12 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
gentle puppies

Well I already have a couple of really good offers, so I'm not just looking for a random temp job, but rather a firm I can grow in.  It doesn't have to necessarily be the most high-profile firm or the one with the coolest projects, just somewhere I'll really enjoy working.

Unless I find a firm that offers a much much better experience, the safest option is to go back to one of my previous offices, as they will likely entrust me with greater responsibilities and design autonomy.

Jan 16, 12 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
domestico

"It doesn't have to necessarily be the most high-profile firm or the one with the coolest projects, just somewhere I'll really enjoy working."

Put some legwork into researching firms and you'll probably end up fine.     

Jan 16, 12 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

how is the job market in Canada? 

Jan 17, 12 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Philson

When I begin job searching (which I am currently in the process of right now) I don't think of what is ... 'best'. What I am saying is I think your question is much too broad. You need to understand what it is you are interested in and where you think you will get the most rewarding experience. 

For instance, I have recently worked with ERA architects (Toronto) on a design build project in Newfoundland. Through this project I gained an understanding of their process. I have developed a larger idea of why I think that method is important to Canadian architecture, and many of these ideas go along with what I am currently thinking about my own work through my developing thesis. 

It wasn't mentioned up their on the list of 'best' architecture firms but I personally think ERA is doing something that Canadian architecture needs. I could elaborate on this more but this isn't the point. The point is, you need to understand yourself and your own work before you can successfully apply to a firm. This guarantees that you will get the best experience and that your employer will get the most out of you. 

Jan 18, 12 10:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: