Archinect
anchor

Learning to render in 3D Studio Max

Living in Gin

I've recently installed 3D Studio Max on my new computer, and now I want to learn it. I can do excellent 2D presentation drawings and 3D models in AutoCAD, but my skills are a bit lacking in the rendering department.

I'm thinking I'll most likely do most of my modelling in AutoCAD and then export to 3DS for materials, lights, and renderings. Does this make sense?

What's the best way to learn to render in 3D Studio? I've considered taking a course offered by one of the training outfits downtown, but I don't have the bank for that right now. In the meantime, should I just load the 3DS tutorials disc and have at it? Is there a good book out there I should pick up?

Thanks...

Mar 4, 06 12:49 pm
chupacabra

load the disc and have at it...there are plenty of tutorials online for material, rendering, lighting, and much more

Mar 4, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

pretty much, yeah. get going, and when you run into a problem, google it.

also, a second edition of jeremy birn's stellar intro book is coming out soon. it's a really good short, to the point primer on lighting and rendering, although not program specific.

Digital lighting and rendering

Mar 4, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

The online tutorials are the pretty good

You'll need to decide which to learn. Mental Ray will be a beast, so I'd stick with basic scan line (Max's standard renderer) renderer until you understand the materials, lights, etc., and then think about moving on. That'll take a while.

Mar 4, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I have found that trial and error is the best way to learn. Just import one of your CAD models and have fun messing with different settings.

Mar 5, 06 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: