Archinect
anchor

Summer session - UCLA

frisbee pirata

I'm an undergrad at UCLA now and just registered for the Jump-Start Arch program, is anyone else here doing it? Let me know..
Paul

Mar 4, 06 3:16 am
deshi

i'm an undergrad at UCLA right now too (2nd year) and i'm also signed up for the summer arch program. We should talk.

Anyone else?

Mar 6, 06 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I TA'd it last year. Does that help?

Mar 6, 06 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
deshi

garpike - could you give us some info about the program itself? anything will do. thanks!

Mar 6, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Last year was the first summer of the Jump Start program. Before that the program was intended for entering Masters of Architecture I students without much architecture experience. The Jump Start program caters to no specific age or skill level. We had one student who turned 18 during the first week! And a few in the over 40 non-traditional looking to try a new career. Most of the students, however, fell into your category (deshi and frisbee) of the still-in-undergrad group. A little less than 1/3 were the entering masters.

Along with two friends of mine, we TA'd the representation course. For that course the students started with lots of hand drawing. And then covered the basics of some 2d software - just a taste. Hand drawing comes first! The students also learned Rhino, a 3d program, and part of the course required the students to build their projects in 3d space. The course culminated in a portfolio which they could use to apply to grad schools.

The studio course jumped right into design - and right into studio critiques. The critiques were a lot of fun - well, for most of us. Almost all of the students hadn't been in a situation like that, which scared a few, but overall they managed well.

The courses, I felt, were well interwoven. As representation TAs, we'd comment on their studio drawings. And the studio instructors would comment on their representation skills. Te courses took place in the same large studio space.

Many of the students moaned and groaned about all of the work load, but one should know this is no summer camp. It is a full course load. But the students all seemed to have a great time, and they learned a lot - like working late. Some learned they really wanted to be architects. And conversely some learned they wanted to steer as far from it as they could. This is good, as it is better to learn now.

Mar 6, 06 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
deshi

how well does the program do in preparing the students for applying to the grad arch program? for example, are the portfolios that they come out with application quality or does it require some more work later on?

btw, thanks for the info!

Mar 7, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
frisbee pirata

garpike, sounds real cool. thanks as well for the words. i'm really looking forward to it, i'll be coming into the program with a lot of drawing work behind me but little of it i think is application quality. plus, i'm hoping to apply this fall for grad school because im eager as hell to get out of art history and into architecture.

paul

Mar 7, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
vman

garpike's description of the ucla program was very accurate.

I was a student in the program and got a ton out of it. the portfolio he was describing was only for representation. i cannot immagine anyone would apply with only their representation portfolio. If your work in studio is great you could probably put together a good admissions portfolio with only your summer work.

that said, they were definitely getting some kinks out in the program last year but it was a great program. i'm sure this summer will be ever better.

Mar 7, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I agree with vman that the representation is not enough for the application portfolio, though for those of you with architectural material you can use materials from other creative interests.

A friend of mine got into UCLA with only his photographs. He is now entrusted with many detailed drawings at a successful firm.

Sounds like an ad, but it's true.

Mar 7, 06 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"...without architectural material..." Sorry. Pre-coffee here.

Mar 7, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

i also attended the jumpstart program last year and it turned out to be an invaluable investment of my time and energy. i come from a very non-arch background so it really helped me to get material for my application portfolio (which consisted mainly of my design studio projects) and to give me a taste of what grad school would be like.

the representations class was very helpful in introducing 2d and 3d software. these skills can be very important in putting a portfolio together. hand drawing is also an important skill to learn and you'll get plenty of practice at it in jumpstart.

Mar 7, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ronakarp

I am about to sign up for the program too. I am a college grad and have been working as an office manager at an architecture firm in NYC for about 6 months. It's time to get away from all that!

I've actually already participated in introductory studios and theory/history courses while in college (almost majored in Arch, instead chose Urban Studies with a 5 class Arch specialization). But I've been kind of away from architecture for a while now, so I think this program is a good way to get back into the swing of things. Is the program mostly college students or are there a good number of participants in the 22-28 age range?

It'll be nice to be in LA this summer. Looking forward to meeting some of you fellow UCLA participants!

Mar 10, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Ronakarp

I am about to sign up for the program too. I am a college grad and have been working as an office manager at an architecture firm in NYC for about 6 months. It's time to get away from all that!

I've actually already participated in introductory studios and theory/history courses while in college (almost majored in Arch, instead chose Urban Studies with a 5 class Arch specialization). But I've been kind of away from architecture for a while now, so I think this program is a good way to get back into the swing of things. Is the program mostly college students or are there a good number of participants in the 22-28 age range?

It'll be nice to be in LA this summer. Looking forward to meeting some of you fellow UCLA participants!

Mar 10, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

there were quite a few students in the 22-28 range. i would say 25 was the average age of my studio group.

Mar 10, 06 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
theDL

does anyone know about equivalent summer sessions at columbia and GSD? i am looking at all three (UCLA's too) as possibilities but wouldn't know which one to choose (assuming i got accepted)-- they're all about the same length and about the same price (UCLA's being, oddly enough, the most expensive). anyone have any info or recommendations?

Mar 12, 06 2:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: