Archinect
anchor

GRAD. School decisions - suggestions?

redsock

I'm getting ready to apply to grad. schools in the Fall... I have a 4yr. pre-prof Arch. degree with a strong interest in Urban Planning. I'm starting to drown in all the options and things I need to think about. I have about a million questions, but I guess I'll start with a basic Qs...

I'm wondering what GRE scores I should be aiming for, if my GPA is strong enough... my portfolio is in the works and will turn out strong, is it safe to say that it will be the most important part? Schools that are currently grabbing my eye are UofT Austin, MIT, USC... any grad. students at these locations have anything that would help me gauge where I stand as far as admissions go? Or maybe success/hell stories to share?

Mar 3, 06 3:40 pm
SuperHeavy

there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many threads on this. there is a search tool at the bottom. you should find most of the answers you are looking for.

Mar 3, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
PetePeterson

oh and don't start all of that stuff yet. leave it to the end so you can be nice and stressed and make posts on next year's grad school thread like we all did a couple months ago...

Mar 3, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

USC lists a minimum standard of a 3.0 GPA, 1000 GRE. In recent years the average has soared way beyond that, however. So those are really the bare minumum, if you have an *awesome* portfolio and statement and recommendations.

On the other hand, USC just built a whole new floor for the graduate students, and the school of architecture might be just a touch easier to get into than previously as they expand class sizes accordingly, and I know they have more scholarships and TA/RAships available (a previous professor was just hassling me to come back to take advantage of this) to try and attract the best students to come to USC instead of one of their other options. So it's a pretty good time to apply there.

I just finished my B.Arch at USC, and took a bunch of the grad courses in historic preservation, so you can drop me a line if you've got any more questions about the school.

Mar 3, 06 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: