Archinect
anchor

Shopping mall precedents needed

Urbanist

Does anyone have any superb takes on the suburban regional mall, built or unbuilt? I'm looking for a few precedents for studio and I'm having trouble coming up with anything especially sexy or innovative.

Mar 2, 06 10:08 pm
orEqual
NorthPark Center in Dallas

Developed by Raymond Nasher in the 60s. Currently reinventing itself into a place where you don't dare say the word mall. Sculpture and paintings and cream brick. Large, open spaces, and absolutely no kiosks. Instead of those plastic playground nightmares, there is a tiled planter with curved sides that is always covered with kids.

The overall effect is that it's a very serious mall, and perhaps it is most significant for having such high standards. For what it's worth, it's my favorite mall and I would say that it has aged well.

Mar 2, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

two words: Victor Gruen
-- I don't know about sexy but he was the originator of the typology

Mar 3, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

and John Jerde (sp?), also, for a theoretical critique: norman klein's scripted space.

Also - have you checked out the Harvard Guide to Shopping?

Mar 3, 06 4:36 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Thanks so much for all your help. I think this typology could use more conceptual work in general... Jerde CANNOT be the end all and be all of the regional mall.

Mar 3, 06 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the grove in LA...a bit too beuojouis though

Mar 3, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

A Jerde renovation that worked out nicely is the mall up in Rolling Hills Estates... anyone know what it's called? It's the one with the ice rink.

Mar 3, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The Fox Hills Mall in Culver City is pretty innovative. The two sides of the mall are at a split level from eachother. The results are:

1. A seamless (or escalator-less) path through the mall due to the ramps.

2. Visitors can easily see accross the atrium to two floors at once. That is almost double the storefront advertising.

3. Also, you can see in this photo the ground floor is pulled flush with the walkway above therefore adding a third floor to the advertising mentioned in #2.

This mall maximizes visibility with a limited space. And the natural lighting is nice.

Mar 3, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Reminds me a lot of Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois... I wonder if it was by the same firm. IIRC, there was some Chicago-based firm back in the 70's that was cranking out those regional malls like a factory.

Mar 3, 06 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The Fox Hills was mentioned in Content. But now I don;t remember what was said about it. Cold be one of hundreds.

Mar 3, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Freudian slip. I shoould go grab a sweater.

Could be one of hundreds...

Mar 3, 06 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Jerde

Mar 3, 06 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

The first ... and still the best ...

Galleria Vittorio Emanuele by Giuseppe Mengoni architect, at Milan, Italy, 1861 designed, built 1865 to 1877

ok ... so it's not suburban ....

Mar 3, 06 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

The Plaza in Kansas City, outdoor mall but an early example of a planned shopping experience.

and check out the dead malls competion from a couple years back.

Mar 3, 06 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow, this place has everything.

Mar 3, 06 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: