Archinect
anchor

Anyone know any good fonts for CAD?

RankStranger

Anyone know of or even have a good .shx font for AutoCAD? I am absolutely sick and tired of architxt, and simplex makes me ill to look at it. Just something nice and clean (and nice). True type is not an option as they make files drag bigtime. Oh yeah, freeware is preferable. Pickens have been Slim thus far. Thanks!

Feb 27, 06 6:40 pm
Living in Gin

Is this for presentation drawings or construction documents? For presentation drawings, I can't think of a single .shx font that looks as good as a half-decent TrueType font.

For construction documents, stick to something like Simplex.shx or Romans.shx. For one, they're legible and reproduce well in bluelines, and secondly, if you're sending these CAD files to outside consultants or clients, you can be assured they'll have the same fonts loaded on their systems.

Few things are more annoying than some architect who insists on using some obscure fonts that produce a dozen error messages whenever I try to load the drawing myself because I don't have the same fonts loaded, and then ends up substituting that hideous txt.shx font by default.

Feb 27, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

i like book antiqua. i use it both in autocad and in all text that i produce from the office so it's all understood as from the same hand.

Feb 27, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™
Elvira Dingbats

Will yield by far the fewest errors.

Seriously, romanS.shx with an 80% width factor is golden. There is nothing more contrived than a technical drawing with stylized fonts that dont translate to your consultants, ultimately replaced with romanS anyway. Use a thicker pen if you want them to be richer in print.

Feb 27, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

You guys are not helping. Seriously though, after I made the thread I remembered how pissed I get when someone uses a funky font on their drawings and that open font window pops up. I'll revisit those two (although I know I'll hate both) but I'm so tired of what I use now. This would be for CDs, so presentation does not matter. I use a truetype (the office logo font) for the title block stuff.

Feb 28, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

In that case, stick with simplex or romans. Construction documents are meant to communicate your design intent as clearly as possible, not to be an art project unto themselves. To that end, common utilitarian fonts are your best best.

Feb 28, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i second using romans, but i use 0.85 width factor.

Feb 28, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I just looked. RomanS and Simplex are pretty much the same exact font. I was worried that Roman would look like Times New Roman but they're not too bad. I'll probably go with the .8 factor; that's what I previously used.

Feb 28, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

Blueline prints.. hee hee... now that takes me back!

We use simplex for most of our notes, but manipulate the height & width to make it skinnier and more elegant. We also use Arial for "important" notes & labels but kept at a minimum - Arial tends to kill plotter pens!

Feb 28, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i dunno, i'm a font dork and i happen to dislike romanS and simplex too. i found this website that sells a true-type-to-shx converter (though i haven't ordered it yet):

http://tcfonts.com/

in my mind there's nothing wrong with using a unique font...just be nice and pass it along to your consultants

Feb 28, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

romans is the best. i dont even fuck around with the scale factors. Ive used a lot of the fonts available in Autocad, and for consturction documents etc. romans is the best. And everyone has it....

Feb 28, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
umangaruhunage

Bahnschrift Light Condensed does it for me. 

Jun 19, 21 4:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: