Archinect
anchor

Critical Response to: Giedons' "Space Time and Architect"?

jumpy

Anyone know of a good text that takes a critical look or creates a response to giedons book? Thanks

Feb 27, 06 10:14 am
blah

Gideon's books have a telos and belief in the myth of the Zeitgeist. He does a lot of cherry picking. Look at Watkin's Morality and Architecture. Look beyond Watkin's preference for classical architecture and understand the role morality plays in any aesthetic.

Feb 27, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Real quick and off the top of my head: Tournikiotis' "Historiography of Modern Architecture" has a section on SP&A... also Frampton has written an article on him in an ancient volume of AD.

But in a broader sense, Banham's Theory and Design in the First Machine Age was a retort to both Giedion and Pevsner.

Feb 27, 06 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

The AD article is called Giedion in America: Reflections in a Mirror. I believe that Detlef Mertins has written some articles on Giedion as well. Perhaps Kwinter's Architectures of Time may provide a good counterpoint to Giedion as well?

Feb 27, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

What, no Cliffs Notes?

Feb 27, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

damn, it has been YEARS since i have read him.

i suppose anything since would offer insight in response. I sorta like from bauhaus to our house to put me in my archi-shoes now and again....and it is just plain funny on top.

Feb 28, 06 5:57 am  · 
 · 
jumpy

Thanks for the help. Sorry but what does the AD stand for? Haven't been able to find the article Giedion in America: Reflections in a Mirror yet

Feb 28, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

In a way, a lot of 60's writing, early post-modern writing like Rowe and Banham is an attempt to debunk Gideon - in a broader sense.

Feb 28, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: