Archinect
anchor

Has anyone attended a Mike Lin Graphic Workshop?

I'm looking for any opinions on the Mike Lin Graphic Workshops. Either the one-week or two-week workshops in particular. Has anyone here attended one? Positive, negative experiences?
http://www.beloose.com/index2.php

Feb 27, 06 2:06 am
adso

Honestly, I think the technique that Mike Lin teaches at those workshops is a very very dated method of presentation (as in late 70's). It can be somewhat alluring for beginning design students, given the idea that you will walk out of there with the belief that you will know how to draw, but the process and how it is presented is fraught with problems. It tends to be very codified and cartoonish (i.e. grass is a combination of marker X and marker y, brick is marker Z with specks of marker W). What this means is that you are drawing symbols for various things, as opposed to observing what it is you are drawing, so as a way of seeing (which all good drawing is), it is very limited.

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it, but I'd save my money and take a watercolor class.

Feb 27, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 
pix

he was once invited to my school and though it was widely accepted by students, for the next couple of semesters you will see the same drawing technique for so many projects. It is a good start, but then you would have to add something to it and make it your own.
I agree with adso that it is a bit dated, looking at some books might give you the same ideas, but in the end it all comes to down to your own drawing talents...
So I would advice, get a couple of books, read the methodology and see what comes out of it... take the best and try to improve it and print your own trademark to it...

Feb 27, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
A

Had a friend that went. I've heard it's more about partying that drawing. Very expensive for basically someone that constantly repeats "be loose."

Feb 27, 06 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

A, I think you are right. I've had Lin's book for a while, and have thought about taking one of his classes but passed when I read this from their FAQ section:

Q: I have heard that many married couples met at your workshop. Is this true?
A: Yes! There are over 34 happily married couples whose relationships began at the workshop. So if you are single and like to learn how to draw effectively, attending the workshop may get you both.

Feb 27, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I have taken the 2day class (in undergrad) and have a close friend who did the 2 week course. If your drawing ability is shaky then it would be worth it as you walk out with confidence and quite a bit more skill than when you came in.

That said yes you will come out drawing like a poor mans Mike Lin. It is very style based with tons of emphasis on drawing Tricks as he calls them. Hit go hit. Professional Dot. etc.

I am currently debating taking the 2 week course this coming spring. My hand drawing falls significantly behind my computer rendering and I have been pigeon holed into doing renderings rather than participating in workshops etc.

Feb 27, 06 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
anti

Oh, as far as partying goes my friend said there was often beer and pizza at night but that you spent 10-14 hours drawing per day.

Feb 27, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

yup. attended it several years ago. wish i could get rid of the 'style' i acquired and the 5000 chartpak markers in every shade of green that cost me a fortune. but now i can draw 'happy trees'.

he lit someone's drawing on fire which then fell to the ground and caught his shoe on fire.

Feb 28, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
scorr88

that's worth something

Feb 28, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
mjuttech

As someone who has attended the BeLoose Graphics workshop twice, after reading the above comments I feel like I need to say something. I have attended his 9 day seminar last January in Manhatten, Kansas, and then participated as a TA at another 9 day seminar in Las Vegas this July. I am disappointed when I read the above comments, because it seems as though the seminar is being judged primarily by either those that have heard something negative about it or have only done the 2 day workshop, which from my experience is merely a glimpse into some of the techniques that he teaches during the longer seminar. Mike Lin's seminar is primarily focused on teaching people how to draw and render properly using a variety of medias including markers, colored pencil, pastel,ink  and some watercolor. Many of the techniques taught are time saving tips, simple adjustments that even an accomplished artist can make to improve his/her renderings. This is an intensive seminar, and yes it runs anywhere from 10-14 hours a day. For 9 days in a row, believe me you get your moneys worth. What I like about Mike Lin's style, is he does not sit up there and talk design theory and show off his work or dazzle you with what he can do. When he is drawing, you are drawing with him. He is very transparent with what he has learned, and this is most helpful because everyone is there to learn, plain and simple. I realize that many people believe that drawing is outdated, and that digital rendering has taken the  place of hand renderings, but to be able to sketch to scale and proportion is always important, as it liberates us from the parameters of software and allows people to communicate quickly and efficiently with one another. His techniques on sketching 1 point and 2 point perspective are the best I have ever come across, and to me learning and perfecting those two alone were worth the cost of the seminar. 

Some people mentioned above that these things can be learned in books. To that I must add that yes, certain techniques are in explained in books, but I don't believe you can get the same context out of a book that you can in person, in real time. Also, the people that you get to interact with for 9 days are from all over the world- interior designers, landscape architects, building architects, etc. This grouping together of like minded individuals creates an amazing dynamic for the duration of the workshop, and I have made some life long friends on both occasions. To anyone wishing to learn how to draw and sketch well, honestly this is one of the best opportunities available. I have never heard anyone that was present at either one of the longer seminars I was at say they were disappointed at the end of it. 

Aug 3, 13 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: