Archinect
anchor

Can you start a practice without being licensed?

What I am trying to say is, if you did not become licensed but you wanted to start a firm and hire licensed architects to work for you / with you, is it possible?

lol.

Feb 24, 06 6:18 pm

The reason I am asking is because I dont know if it will be worth for me to go to school when I know so much about construction and just want to do design/build.

Feb 24, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It depends on the state.

The majority of states require that in any firm that advertises itself as an architecture firm - or that offers architectural services or uses "architecture" or any of its variations - a majority of the partners must be registered architects.

In my state, in a firm with two partners only one must be registered, and the other is still allowed to own 50%. But in any firm with three or more owners at least 67% of the partners must be registered, and at least 67% of the firm must be owned by the registered partners.

Feb 24, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

In some states a construction firm can employ one or more registered architects who are not partners in the business.

What you need to do is contact the architecture licensure/registration entity in your state.

Feb 24, 06 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Well I am from Texas if that helps.

Feb 24, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox
http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/

That's the address for Texas' board. Call them and ask.

Feb 24, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
alex_ian

be warned to doublecheck if you really "know so much" about construction. plus, architecture is not construction. been there, done that, now i´m beyond thirty and still learning new stuff. I know school is a serious financial issue in most parts of the world, and it´s not for everyone, so my advice considering your age would be to work in places where you can learn things you didn´t even dream of. no matter if that´s in school or in offices. when you think there´s nothing more to learn, move on to another place. good luck.

Feb 25, 06 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: