Archinect
anchor

OMA NY Job listing

jts329

Was I crazy, or was there a job listing on Archinect for OMA NY???? I looked all over the internet to see if it was anywhere else but i couldn't find it. For some reason the post isn't up anymore, does anyone remember the email to send resumes/portfolios to, or know anything about this ghost job????

Feb 23, 06 9:36 pm
garpike

You aren't crazy. It was up. And not for the first time.

Feb 23, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
jts329

Then how come it went down so quickly?

Feb 23, 06 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

It was removed due to an overwhelming number of applications. They filled the position soon after posting their ad on Archinect.

Feb 23, 06 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

wow

Feb 23, 06 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
jts329

weren't there like a bunch of positions they put up? I remember seeing a "student" position. Not even intern, "student," as in undergrad, not even B. Arch or M. Arch candidate. Does anyone have any idea what that might entail?

Feb 23, 06 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Daily beatings.

Feb 23, 06 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
jts329

Yeah, I figured something along those lines, not to mention trips to Starbucks.

Feb 23, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wasn;t there a rumor that employees wet themselves from lack of bathroom breaks? Or was the the Corona factory rumor?

Feb 23, 06 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
superstarchitect

lol yeah, I saw that and nearly had a heart attack as well. apparently the "student" position is essentially the same thing as a normal intern, except with "student hours".

*lust* if only I weren't just a measly sophomore with crap work so far... :P

Feb 23, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

why does everyone want to work for them?

tell me one thing you want to learn while there. to twist the non-existent twin-towers?

Feb 23, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
arch nyc

Anyone ever had an interview at OMA? Any thoughts on how to prepare?

Feb 23, 06 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Yes...I put om my yellow garden booties...a purple tie and my red suspenders....just for the extra touch. I brought my waterproof sketch book and my digital camera just in case I had the opportunity to Photograph Mrs. 0. I twas a let down when I found out they were looking for someone with a Masters Degree to watch the coffee pot.

Feb 23, 06 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
jts329

Haha, I love what you guys have done with this thread. In response to why anybody would want to work there, I have no ambitions other than getting coffee and filing papers. But I would rather file papers with interesting drawings on them than papers with crappy drawings on them, no? So far as someone who is a freshman in undergrad, not even B. Arch (thinking about arch grad school, I know, its early), ahhhh, nevermind, its not worth explaining. How's this for a reason: I like the neighborhood?

Feb 24, 06 1:06 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

They misspelled the word "employment" in their job posting...

I think it was [email protected]

Feb 24, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

classic

Feb 24, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
montu

daily beatings.....

Damn that's funny.

Funny though when I filled a similar role at KPF they treated all the students/interns like kings because we did sooooooooooooooo much work and helped make the fantasies real.

Bying us dinner
Lunch
Town Cars home etc.

Any chance this is a similar situation?

NAHHHHHH.

Feb 24, 06 9:27 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

it was [email protected]

Feb 24, 06 10:27 am  · 
 · 
RankStranger

If you want to see that post again, the trick is to google it. Since google cache is always atleast a couple days old it will be there. You have to click on the "cache" button though. Google "oma archinect jobs" - it's there.
Speaking of Cache, worst movie I've seen in a LONG time.

Feb 24, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Johnny Cache sucks too

Feb 24, 06 11:05 am  · 
 · 
francklee

i had an interview and it was pretty interesting as the person interviewing me didn't look at my work just wanted to know what i thought of the office, been here now a month because gave the right answe i guess.

Feb 24, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
ether

holy shit. where's the cliff i'm suppose to jump over?

Feb 24, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Cache Money Millionaires

Feb 24, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

That rendering is pretty lame. Hard to believe they published that when they had this all along.

Feb 24, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

the video is rather nice. i'm still unconvinced of the building.

Feb 25, 06 12:28 am  · 
 · 
jackhogan

francklee, did they even take a brief look at your work?! out of curiousity what did you say you thought of the office and what do you think now you're there?

Feb 25, 06 4:44 am  · 
 · 
ease

similar experience to francklee, was surprising that they didn't look too much into my projects only a few minutes into one project. compared to an one hour interview...
by the way: didn't give the right answers since i didn't make it (was in rotterdam) ;)

Feb 25, 06 6:52 am  · 
 · 
francklee

i said looked energetic and liked atmosphere and would like to be there and contribute, now a month or so in i find the place to have a weird vibe as rem not liked by jpr and is the guy is on edge constantly about the big man, feels like SOM mostly, where i was before.

Feb 25, 06 8:07 am  · 
 · 

judging by the new building, oma's coming to be like som with snazzier marketing approaches.

don't you think that in those interviews they're really just looking for someone who'll stick with it for a while, work hard, and not complain about the pay? i'm always blown away by what students get jobs at those firms--never seems to be based on their work, just the fact that they're willing to work in ny for free for 80 hours a week.

meanwhile, i'll be cruising around in the kpf towncar getting dinner with bill pederson...seriously, montu, is that true? i'll be working at kpf nexxt quarter, and i've heard great things frompast interns, but nothing like that. ha.

Feb 25, 06 8:58 am  · 
 · 
AP

francklee,
I'm curious...are you compensated? I don't want to make any assumptions, so share what you will. thanks.

Feb 25, 06 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

my roomate told my that my comment was insensitive, so i'm not going to post it.

Feb 25, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

interns as kings at kpf is hilarious.

but at kpf do you get to do work that makes the architecture world (and ocassionally the real one too) sit up?

me ol classmate walked into a job at oma in holland. she says it was mostly bout timing. i think it was cuz she was talented and wun awards up and down with her grad project...from what i can recall they did actually look at her portfolio.

Feb 26, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: