Archinect
anchor

wino's unite!

neildesi

If I were to go on a world tour to see great winery architecture, or modern vinyard architecture, where would i go, and what architects work would i see?

Feb 22, 06 8:02 pm
garpike

Dominus Winery, Napa Valley, CA
Herzog & DeMeuron

Feb 22, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

calatrava - la rioja bodegas ysios

this is my favorite part:

Feb 22, 06 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, awesome idea for a thread.

Feb 22, 06 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

^that's one of the only Calatrava bldgs that I care for.

Feb 22, 06 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, that is nice.

my fav winery inspired cork lined nifty cutty-outy building by steven holl.
in loisium.

Feb 22, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

yea, those are all good ones....has anyone ever been to chappellet in Napa Valley?? I think its an old Aurther Erickson Building

Feb 22, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

any other good examples out there?

Feb 23, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP
in the news
Feb 23, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Calatrava's winery is a homage (or plagiarism) to Gaudí's school at the Sagrada Familia...

vs.

come to think of it, most works by Calatrava are homages to Gaudí or to those funny dinosaur' skeletons at the musuems..

Feb 23, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i can't find an image online, so i guess i'll have to find it and scan it, but the tasting room of the paul masson champagne winery in saratoga, california was wonderfully banal and modern. so much so that it appears in taschen's Boring Postcards.
Haven't been there in 20 years (holy crap...) so I don't know if some idiot got their hands on it and made it 'Country French'....

Feb 23, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Right up my alley; wine, architecture, and good food!!
Some of the good ones have been mentioned above but speaking about wine and architecture I have a special place for a vineyard in Calistoga named Clos Pagase designed by Michael Graves. In my humble opinion one of graves’ finest works; a true embrace between the creation of art and wine.
This place is full of mythology; the aging caves and the cave theater are phenomenal spaces. The house at the top of the knoll has the most breath taking views of the valley.

The other winery that I was extremely impressed with was Viña las Niñas in Santa /Cruz Chile Designed by one of my favorite Latin America architect Mathias Klotz, a clean translucent composition of wood stone and glass, the setting is also incredible-

Viña las Niñas

Feb 23, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Just a side note, last time I was at Dominus Winary one of the wine makers told me that the caged rock walls were full of snakes bathing in the sun, Nice natural habitat.
…way to think of it Jacques & Pierre!

Feb 24, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: