Archinect
anchor

MAYA question

monkeyboy

Maya has recently become my software of choice for modelling and diagraming from FormZ. I was curious if anyone know a technique or perhaps a plugin that would allow me to render in Hidden Line and in Wire Frame as opposed to taking crappy screen shots.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Jul 1, 04 1:18 pm
nameisinuse

i don't know the answer to that, monkey
but i know that the kids over at cgtalk.com might.
i'll put the question to my boy, too. he's in computer art.

Jul 1, 04 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

You don’t have to rely on screen shots monkeyboy.
Go to WINDOW, SETTING/PREFERENCES, PLUGIN MANAGER and make sure you have the MAYA VECTOR render installed.
Then under RENDER GLOBAL SETTINGS set to Maya vector and put the setting accordingly.
**Another option which is quite nice, deals with using a combination of Maya and Rhino, because you can save as an .iges file.
Then in RHINO save the view you want in the perspective viewport as an .AI
Open in illustrator and change the line weight o .001 to start and it looks quite nice.
It sounds tedious but it is quite easy.
For now that’s it, I got to get on a train to Valencia. I’ll be around by Sunday if you need more help.
Good luck.

Jul 1, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
3west

let's not limit this discussion to maya. how do you render wireframe in 3ds max 6?

Jul 1, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
webb

there's a great plugin for max 6 called illustrate! you can get a free 30 -day demo from their site. the interface is a little weird, but the amount of control you have is pretty amazing.

you can also use a pen and ink material shader, which is ok, or check the wireframe box on a standard material. both could work, depending on what you're going for, but if you want precision or a vector output, illustrate! is the way to go.

Jul 1, 04 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
3west

thanks webb. found the 3ds max plug-in and it works great!

Jul 2, 04 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
kentucky

or you can export as an iges to rhino and save to illustrator.

Jul 2, 04 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
kentucky

sorry just saw the previous post

Jul 2, 04 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

dont have rhino yet and just checked if i had the Maya Vector plugin and thats a negative as well. Any suggestion on where I can find that plugin. I am going to try to access rhino as well. Thanks

Jul 6, 04 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

do you have maya 5or 6? If so follow the steps i lined up in the first reply I posted. It is an inherent plug-in within the software.

Jul 6, 04 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

that could be he problem. The machine i am on now has 4.5 . howver I have 5 at home. I'll try it out later. thanks

Jul 6, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

you should definately upgrade to either of those since the plug-in improvements are quite nice. Mental Ray and lots more, thats without getting into dynamics, scripting and else.
enjoy!
fdB

Jul 6, 04 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: