Archinect
anchor

VH1's Best Class Ever!

SuperBeatledud

What's your favorite class/studio that you ever had in school? Something that was so great you forgot it was school. Doesn't have to be architecture related.

Feb 22, 06 12:41 pm
R.C. Barn

It's been a many years, but I do recall my fencing class being loads of fun...ofcourse the nightly pain in my thighs wasn't that great.

Feb 22, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

figure drawing

Feb 22, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

probably a toss up between my final arch studio and Political Science 460 (game theory in international relations or something like that)

oh...and freshman english. it was all about interpretations of urban environments (joyce, toomer, pynchon)

Feb 22, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

non-architectural would be "music of the beatles." i kid you not.
at first our homework was listening to compilations of pre-beatles music: skiffle, rockabilly, jerry lee lewis, elvis, etc. then we progressed to listening to full beatles albums for homework. the prof was an awesome musicologist and facilitated these amazing discussions on the structure of their music, the dynamic of the four, and how their music impacted politics.
for my final project i did an analysis of album art and showed how the artwork on their LP covers reflected the zeitgesit.
i should have take the class for credit - i took it pass fail and it was so easy because it was fun.

Feb 22, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

evolutionary biology at UT with "runner-up for the nobel prize" dr. billie lee turner. imagine what would happen if stephen jay gould married hank's dad (cotton) from "king of the hill" and had a kid. my worldview went in one way and came out another. i believed in evolution going in, i knew for a fact evolution occured coming out. and i still remained a christian, too. billie lee was hucking filarious to boot and he let class out after an hour (it was a 90 minute class, twice a week).

political philosophy, also at UT, with dr. tara smith. this woman could rip any of us a new one in debate. the fiercest libertarian since john stuart mill himself. i had a sparring match with her about zoning one day in her office. needless to say she was right. we architects think we know something about philosophy in general, we try to co-opt its methods...ha. just try that with a former national debate champion.

last one: high school band in haltom city, texas. except for having a metronome chunked at me (accidentally...it was intended for the trumpet section). i had a madman for a director, a manic cross between napoleon and george zimmer, president of the men's wearhouse (he kinda looked like that guy), someone who believed anything could be done with enough hard work done with intelligence, someone who never bothered to contemplate whether a bunch of white trash kids and immigrant children could play tchaikovsky or not...he just did it. oh and the oboe girls were cute.

Feb 22, 06 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

human sexualtiy

glass blowing

urban ecology

Feb 22, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

8888, I remember a Rock Music class that was impossible to get into. Your class sounds like a great time.

I liked Linguistics.

Feb 22, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

888, that sounds great! I love the Beatles (<====if you all couldn't tell already)

mdler, was that all one class?

Feb 23, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

It was definately the summer studio in Italy.

Feb 23, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Musical Composition

My band sat around and wrote and recorded an album for credit.

Feb 23, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

Although I known to be a mute; my favorite course was public speaking.

Feb 23, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
e909

when i decided to take these, i knew they would be mostly "fun": ceramics, drawing, music, plant id, women's studies, some writing classes. i'm probably forgetting something else.

Feb 26, 06 3:21 am  · 
 · 
e909

VH1??

Feb 26, 06 3:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: