Archinect
anchor

NY music scene

blank

i am an avid music fan- though i feel as though ive exhausted the supply of new music i can find. what are upcoming NY bands/clubs that you enjoy?

my favorite ny bands include: le tigre, the liars, les savy fav, the strokes, sonic youth, ted leo, yeah yeah yeahs, interpol, tv on the radio....

Jul 1, 04 12:42 pm
aeaa

french kicks, ambulance, walkmen, sea ray, the national......the list can go one forever.
I figure if you already know of enjoy the bands you listed you know of these bands as well, not to mention places like the bowery ballroom, North 6 etc etc

Jul 1, 04 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
blank

yeah thats part of the problem- following the 'family tree' of bands gets somewhat incestuous and youre back at the smae band/sound. the same thing happens when trying to find good riotgrrl music- most bands are only around for an album, reform and fold into other groups.....i just want something new- is that so hard to ask =) i also was recommended the site music plasma, but i already had the recommendations prior to me finding them there. and i completely stopped listening to the radio several years ago when my beloved WSOU changed format.

Jul 1, 04 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

have you tried KEXP out of seattle? (internet broadcast) They play some of the music you listed but throw in a bunch of other stuff as well - it can be all over the map at times and gives some decent variety. albeit, it won't be specific to NY bands.

Jul 1, 04 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
blank

ill give it a look- im open to most music and non local events- i only narrowed it down to the ny scene because its local and there would be a greater frequency of live shows. thanks.

Jul 1, 04 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
JG

The Village Voice 4th Annual
SIREN MUSIC FESTIVAL
at Coney Island
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Death Cab For Cutie, Blonde Redhead,
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead,
Mission Of Burma, Har Mar Superstar,
TV On The Radio, Electric Six,
The Fiery Furnaces, The Fever,
Constantines, Vue, The Thermals,
The Ponys and Your Enemies Friends

Jul 1, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
DJ

go check out the elbow room for some great wannabe jersey acts...

Jul 1, 04 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Did anyone go see Ted Leo last Friday night at South Street Seaport?

I was going to go but it was raining, so I bailed. Anyone see it?

Jul 1, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
blank

mm: i missed it too- in previous years its been a zoo on good days so i didnt even bother since it was raining. though it wouldve been nice to hear new stuff from him.

Jul 1, 04 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
st.

animal collective/black dice @ the bowery ballrm, aug. 15.

the a.c. are better than i'm able to describe.

Jul 1, 04 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
*chitect

I'll second st. in re: the animal collective. Saw them a year ago in a church basement in Berkeley -- high quality entertainment. Not a big hit in studio though...

Jul 1, 04 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

If anyone cares, the Frames are giving a free show at South St Seaport tomorrow (Friday, July 2nd) at 6pm.

aeaa mentioned some good bands. The French Kick's new album is by far the best album released of 2004

Jul 1, 04 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

see Ours you will not regret it.

Jul 1, 04 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Pay attention to Langhorne Slim, Grizzly Bear, and the Sons of Sound/Dennis Cahlo. See them whenever you can.

Trust me. I just worked for months in a venue and saw about 5-8 bands a night. Those are the 2 that stood out. Amazing, amazing.

& also watch Ogans, if you like Brazilian Funk. Holy wow.

Jul 2, 04 5:53 am  · 
 · 
CREAM

!!!

Jul 2, 04 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Rorschach

Good to see the Constantines making inroads
in the U.S. .. a few years ago they were just
a good little Guelph University band

Jul 3, 04 12:22 am  · 
 · 
Geo

A few recent local and not-so-local to check:

On Air Library
The Stills
Sonogram
Bloc Party
The Arcade Fire

and two not-so-recent but still great

Godspeed You Blac Emperor
Dj Shadow

interested on others thoughts on these guys

Mar 28, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

all you NYC indie fans might want to visit this link for some great bands, concert reviews and news about upcoming shows. I have found countless great bands through Jasper's site and can't give it high enough recommendation:

http://jenyk.com/

Mar 28, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
crush

to those of you lucky enough to live in the city: selfstarter foundation's Detachment Kit is an incredibly energetic show and will rock your socks off. They are playing at the middle east upstairs (boston) on march 30 and at the magnetic fields (brooklyn) on april 8.

Mar 28, 05 11:30 am  · 
 · 
mm

Where in brooklyn is the magnetic fields?

Mar 28, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
crush

97 atlantic avenue = magnetic fields

check it: dkit

Mar 28, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
crush

you should also see Darediablo (a quality southern records crew) at Arlene's Grocery on april 23.

darediablo

Mar 28, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: